Forum is extremely unsuccessful due to rival site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would've much rather have gotten unbanned from the rival forum than going through the trouble of creating my own. Unfortunately the admin of the rival forum treats me like I'm Osama bin laden, so that's never gonna happen.

You started a site for all the wrong reasons. That's why you are having struggles.

I think we're onto something here. I agree with beerforo.

As I mentioned earlier, you get out what you put into it. To be successful, I think you have to pour a tremendous amount of energy into the forum. In order for you to do that, I think you have to be motivated by a deep desire to make a BETTER forum than the "rival" and all the others.

That was my motivation... build something better. I put a crap-ton of time into building it, tweaking it, and then "priming the pump" with as many new (and interesting) threads as possible. My forum went live on Feb 26th, 2022 (about 3-1/2 months ago). Here are my current stats:
1655000944325.webp
In the realm of forums, 488 members is nothing. But, we're growing, and it's early! I think we've had good engagement / participation with over 8500 messages and over 1000 threads in a fairly short time.

If you went through the "trouble" to create a forum just for YOU to have a place to "hang out" (since you were banned from the other), I just don't think you're committed enough to make it a success.

I wonder if there is another signal / sign forum that you could join instead of the old one. Is there another worthy forum you could join?

FWIW, revisiting the open / public VS closed / private forums:​

My "rival" forum started a few weeks before mine (after the most popular forum was suddenly shut down). The "rival" is private while mine is open. My forum now has 2-1/2 times as many members as they do.

Naturally, people want to see "what they're getting into before they join or "commit."

Also... I'm not 100% sure on this... But, I think having it open allows the search engines to crawl and index every single page / thread / comment. This is going to help search results (improve your "SEO"), which leads to clicks / visitors, who are potential new members.

An analogy - restaurants in the airport. They all post their menus out front (usually in a display case) for all to see. Imagine if one of the restaurants instead posted a sign that said, "You have to come in and sit down before you can see the menu." Unless you're already familiar with that restaurant, you'd likely keep walking, eh?

Another strategy I've used is making the "Resource Center" (full of valuable information to my topic's audience) a "members only" feature. Everything else is public. So that Resource section of the forum is private. It's an incentive to join as a member. And to wit... Whenever I see a brand new member online, they are almost always perusing the Resource Center.

Last edited:
Another strategy I've used is making the "Resource Center" (full of valuable information to my topic's audience) a "members only" feature. Everything else is public. So that Resource section of the forum is private. It's an incentive to join as a member. And to wit... Whenever I see a brand new member online, they are almost always perusing the Resource Center.
What would be interesting to know is if the members who register "by force" continue to frequent the forum after having obtained the resource(s).

What would be interesting to know is if the members who register "by force" continue to frequent the forum after having obtained the resource(s).

Well... the reality is likely not favorable in that regard. But, then again with any forum, the Pareto Principle applies: A small percentage of the members make the majority of posts. I'm sure that's true whether they join completely of their own volition or "by force," as you have described.

That said... Perhaps... PERHAPS, some of those who joined JUST to view the resources will be tempted to enter the fray and post messages. If they don't join, it's a 100% certainty that they won't ever post a message. :)

But, I think this is a "friendlier" or "softer" approach to encouraging membership vs making the entire forum private / members-only. Carrot vs stick, as they say.

You guys are extremely harsh when it comes to the criticism honestly. It's reached a point where it feels like nitpicking despite how hard I fought for this forum.

You guys are extremely harsh when it comes to the criticism honestly. It's reached a point where it feels like nitpicking despite how hard I fought for this forum.

I hope I'm being helpful rather than harsh. My perspective is as a forum-owning-newbie with some degree of initial success. I've been a member of MANY forums going back over 3 decades - before Algore "invented the internet." :)

Hopefully, you'll take some of the good advice given and filter out the snarky stuff. :cool:

I'm just curious, @thesignalman . Traffic signals and signs are rather large items. Where does a collector house them?? It's not like collecting watches or fountain pens, eh? Ha!

Sadly, a lot of people have registered and only about 6 people actively post out of the 150 or so members on the forum. This is due to the fact that my rival forum (which launched in 2013) is very similar to mine in it's theme.
First of all, you are assuming this is the reason. You are also assuming all 150 are actually from that site. The real reason could be they have nothing to do on your site. Sure, they sign up but what next? Have you provided original content or anything to engage with? Something different? Or is your site just empty forums? (We can't see!) 🤔

My advice before was stop worrying about them (and that situation)! That was real advice. Is your target audience simply their memberbase? Of course keep an eye on your competition, but you act like they are your forum's lifeblood and everyone must abandon ship for yours. That's not how it works. There's enthusiasts all of the world, the internet, and social. It's you job to get them there, and keep them there with original content and engagement.
I thought that the other forum was highly flawed, which was another reason why I started my own.
Well yes, see, in this post you are starting to get it. Keep on being better!

PS. 6 active posters is actually not bad for a new site! You have people talking! 6 of 150, I mean, go on any forum and the ratio is similar. Some people just read, some are spam accounts, etc. This is just the start. Grow the 6 to 7, 8, 100. You are doing it already you just don't know it because you are obsessed with the other site's members and your banning.

I'm fascinated and amazed at the variety of hobbies, special interests, and collectibles there are out there!

I tried to patch things up with the person who banned me from his forum. Sadly, he still thinks that I'm the same person I was when he kicked me off of the forum. Everyone else who was part of that forum has forgiven me. He wrote my apology off as me begging him to let me back on his forum, when I sincerely wanted to patch things up with him.

Even got me suspended from a few groups on social media because he was complaining to the administrators about my behavior.

Nobody seems to appreciate the work that goes into my forum. Despite me committing hours of my time to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom