Resource icon

[bd] Mails 1.1.0

No permission to download
There is some benefit of having bounced members in a special group. Currently I have 32.000 users awaiting email confirmation. This is a mix of newly registered users and bounced members. I send reminder emails to users that are newly registered and I delete 0 post accounts that are not activated after 2 months. If I split members up in 2 separate groups then it will be easier to address those account that are in limbo.

The benefit of using a usergroup (though there may be another way) is that you can add notices to guide users through the reactivation process. For example:
  1. bounced status: show notice to inform user.
  2. changed email address: show notice to let user confirm email address
  3. confirmed email address: show notice to let user add site email address to contacts.
How did you manage bounced addresses? Manually?

How did you manage bounced addresses? Manually?
I send an ID with all outgoing email, have a script regularly check an IMAP email box for bounces, then identify the exact bounce message and tie the appropriate response to it. I ignore staff bounces because deactivating staff accounts is trouble.
But this was built for vb, so I will need a XF alternative.

I've been using mandrill for a while now, and use their reporting to generate a list of emails that have bounced. I then run a manual SQL query against the DB and change their email status to awaiting approval.

What is the difference between using the API per this add-on, and just using their smtp credentials? I've spent a while setting up my SPF and DKIM to make sure it works correctly and none of the mails get rejected at the receiving end.

I send an ID with all outgoing email, have a script regularly check an IMAP email box for bounces, then identify the exact bounce message and tie the appropriate response to it. I ignore staff bounces because deactivating staff accounts is trouble.
But this was built for vb, so I will need a XF alternative.
Nice.

I've been using mandrill for a while now, and use their reporting to generate a list of emails that have bounced. I then run a manual SQL query against the DB and change their email status to awaiting approval.

What is the difference between using the API per this add-on, and just using their smtp credentials? I've spent a while setting up my SPF and DKIM to make sure it works correctly and none of the mails get rejected at the receiving end.
API call should be a bit faster than SMTP connection (SMTP specs require the server to send something, wait for response, then send something, etc.). Also, bounced address will be handled automatically for you (under development FYI).

API call should be a bit faster than SMTP connection (SMTP specs require the server to send something, wait for response, then send something, etc.). Also, bounced address will be handled automatically for you (under development FYI).
Excellent, just installed it and it's working OK so far. (y)

I've had to remove this. Since installing it, mails are being delivered to Mandrill, but are not being accepted on the receiving end for some reason.

As soon as I put it back to their SMTP credentials, they all start working again.

I've had to remove this. Since installing it, mails are being delivered to Mandrill, but are not being accepted on the receiving end for some reason.

As soon as I put it back to their SMTP credentials, they all start working again.
Can you please provide some extra information: What does it say in Mandrill API log page? How do you know that mails are being delivered to Mandrill? All mails failed or some of them? Thank you.

The mails are failing because it's mails to myself that aren't being received. I use Outlook.com for my e-mail, and have my own domain name with it (z22se.co.uk).

The mails are being received by Mandrill, because I can see the e-mails in the logs, however, they are not being received (or shown) in my mail client.

For example:

mail example.webp

I never received this e-mail that was sent via the "Contact Us" page this afternoon.

I can't view the headers to see what has been happening as I never received the e-mails. As soon as I disable this add-on, I start getting the e-mail notifications again.

I'll install it on my test forum and see if I can get any extra information with some testing on there.

The mails are failing because it's mails to myself that aren't being received. I use Outlook.com for my e-mail, and have my own domain name with it (z22se.co.uk).

The mails are being received by Mandrill, because I can see the e-mails in the logs, however, they are not being received (or shown) in my mail client.

For example:

View attachment 56218

I never received this e-mail that was sent via the "Contact Us" page this afternoon.

I can't view the headers to see what has been happening as I never received the e-mails. As soon as I disable this add-on, I start getting the e-mail notifications again.

I'll install it on my test forum and see if I can get any extra information with some testing on there.
What are you using as your email server? Edit: you use Outlook.com, I missed that part.

It's recommended to use a separate domain for mails (e.g. mandrill.z22se.co.uk) if you have your own mailbox at the domain. I'm wondering how you configured DKIM and SPF?

Btw, you only mentioned contact us emails, do you receive other emails when the add-on is enabled? Like conversation emails, thread watch, etc.? Can you ask your staff to see whether they receive emails? Especially those who don't use @z22se.co.uk addresses.

What are you using as your email server? It's recommended to use a separate domain for mails (e.g. mandrill.z22se.co.uk) if you have your own mailbox at the domain. I'm wondering how you configured DKIM and SPF?

Btw, you only mentioned contact us emails, do you receive other emails when the add-on is enabled? Like conversation emails, thread watch, etc.?
No, I don't receive anything.

Outlook.com is my e-mail server: http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup-outlook-on-custom-domain/24699/

SPF
Code:
"v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:89.145.112.71 +ip4:89.145.112.72 +include:spf.mandrillapp.com +include:hotmail.com ~all"

DKIM is set up per Mandrill / Outlook guides, and everything has been working fine until installing this, and again once it's put back to Mandrill SMTP connection.

No, I don't receive anything.

Outlook.com is my e-mail server: http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup-outlook-on-custom-domain/24699/

SPF
Code:
"v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:89.145.112.71 +ip4:89.145.112.72 +include:spf.mandrillapp.com +include:hotmail.com ~all"

DKIM is set up per Mandrill / Outlook guides, and everything has been working fine until installing this, and again once it's put back to Mandrill SMTP connection.
I will need some information to test this from my server. Please start a conversation with me, thank you.

Any eta on the bounced email processing? Would be nice to have it before my next bulk email goes out. Will shoot you money to expedite process if you want.

Any eta on the bounced email processing? Would be nice to have it before my next bulk email goes out. Will shoot you money to expedite process if you want.
Which provider are you using? I will go ahead and add support for that provider first. Support for all providers will take sometime.

Top Bottom