XF: take more control of Resources

You likely paid for a comparatively small portion of their overall time.
To be clear, are we talking about custom coding for one client only not to be released elsewhere? Custom coding for one client that will be incorporated into a resource that the coder will resell? That the client will resell? Or simply an addition to an existing add-on with multiple users where the added feature will benefit everyone using the add-on?

Reactions: RDR
With all these signals, it should be (and we find it is) very obvious to XF users which add-ons to avoid.
And you're assuming it's equally obvious to everyone else. But clearly it isn't always the case....

Put another way, why would the XenForo management allow an add-on to remain on the site which they believe should be avoided?

I am not talking about 100 hours of development, as those wouldn't be features at all, those are addons by themselves. I m talking about the little stuff.
Ofcourse they deserve a reasonable wage. But I also deserve a reasonable support.
For me the system is malicious, when I have to pay for 1 feature of an addon (small sized) 3 times the price of the addon. This kind of a business is dirty approach. Imagine XF would do this, when you would ask your customers for every feature you added money.

Of course, if he develops that feature only to me, and I have the rights of it, of course I expect to fully pay him for his whole development time.
But I am talking about things adding to his addon, accessible to every buyer. That one option tickbox added to his addon will be open to everyone, not just to me. And for the development time of that, we pay already renewal/support fees.

What do you understand under support? Bug fixes only? But bug fixes aren't support, as I paid for a working addon, so it is a given that your stuff must work. That is not support, when you release a buggy software and then you cure the problems 1 by 1.

What is the definition of support here?

To be clear, are we talking about custom coding for one client only not to be released elsewhere? Custom coding for one client that will be incorporated into a resource that the coder will resell? That the client will resell? Or simply an addition to an existing add-on with multiple users where the added feature will benefit everyone using the add-on?
This is likely a question for sbj, but my understanding based on his posts thus far is the latter. Fairly obvious. He has spoken about paying $20 for a product and begrudging paying double or triple that for further development of that add-on.

I also confirmed in my previous example that it may be true that a custom developed feature may add value to the product and this, therefore, is likely a much more complex situation. I would expect in this case for the developer to absorb some of the cost, but that's down to the developer and the commissioner of the work to decide.

And you're assuming it's equally obvious to everyone else. But clearly it isn't always the case....
Clearly? I've actually seen no examples of where this has been problematic for people. It's ultimately a case of buyer beware. All the signals are there. At minimum if you check the reviews, check the add-on doesn't have an "Unmaintained" prefix and check the most recent discussion messages then it's obvious if there's a problem.

I m not talking about custom unique work bespoked for my needs. Talking about "could you please add an option to select threads" or "could you add a like-button" stuff, to be included to the addon for the benefit of everybody. Like those stuff.

I could give precise example, but I won't, cause I don't want to mention any names or products. It is not nice to do this.

Why not? Like that we can see both sides of the story and have a clear picture of the situation.

Firstly, the resources description is in many cases not detailed enough to know exactly what an addon can do or what not, before you purchase it. Just after you purchased you get to see the whole scope. Not everyone is offering a demo. And even with the best resource description and a demo, as a user mostly you don't understand everything. So often you think things are possible to do when it turns out it isn't possible or the other way around. So you purchase and afterwards you are disappointed with what you got cause when asked for "how to do this", you get a "not possible" in return.

In that case, you ask a question at the add on topic if there is something that you do not understand, or it is unclear to you and wait for the developer 's answer.

Secondly, I paid already for their time. I paid for the product and for the support. I got 1 year support, and then after 1 year you pay again a renewal cost.That means I pay for their time. So "another option" to the addon is the support I expect. Cause I specificaly asked "how to do x". And expect a solution how to do that, that is support, isn't that? So either he can tell me how to edit templates and the core code, or he just adds that 1 option tickbox. That is support. To give assistance with something.

You have a strange definition of the word support sir.

Adding a new feature to the add on just for you, does not fall under the scope of the support. That falls under the scope of extra stuff. And it depends on the developer, if they will do that for free or will charge an extra fee. What you are entitled to in terms of support is if you need help with the actual options of the add on, like if it will not work, throws an errors, poses a security issue etc.

For example, do you think it is ok to charge 10$ for an addon (with 10 features) and ask 30$ to add 1 feature?
I really don't get this. You are selling me the whole product with tons of codes for 10 bucks, but for 1 feature you ask me 3 times the price I paid for the whole thing.
There is no balance in this, when the price for single features are 200% more than the addon itself. This is baiting. This is a malicious system.

Yes it is ok. Because if I am adding that option for you only then I will charge extra for it. You buy the add on as it is, and for extra new options, you pay extra. There is nothing baiting or malicious about this. If anything, it is greedy and arrogant too, on your part to expect that every request you have for new options to be added for free. It does not work like that. Say, you work 8 hours at your job based on a contract, but your boss wants you to work like 4-5 extra hours for free. What are you going to say to him or her then?

sbj's post makes perfect sense. What if you pay for an the addon, ask how to do something that is mentioned in the description, only to find you can't do it and are offered a workaround.

This is something completely different. And that is why I asked for a specific example so we could have the complete picture and not only one side of the story.

I m not talking about custom unique work bespoked for my needs. Talking about "could you please add an option to select threads" or "could you add a like-button" stuff, to be included to the addon for the benefit of everybody. Like those stuff.

Who is to say that what you requested, will be liked by everyboddy else. And if every customer asked the same thing too, where does it end? Buying an add on does not entitle one to having all his requests added for free because it will benefit everyone. And if the developers charges for that, then he is providing bad support according to you. I am sorry to say it, but this logic is very weird imo.

This is something completely different. And that is why I asked for a specific example so we could have the complete picture and not only one side of the story.

I agree, paying for an addon doesn't pay for implemetation of feature requests.

Yes it is ok. Because if I am adding that option for you only then I will charge extra for it. You buy the add on as it is, and for extra new options, you pay extra. There is nothing baiting or malicious about this. If anything, it is greedy and arrogant too, on your part to expect that every request you have for new options to be added for free. It does not work like that. Say, you work 8 hours at your job based on a contract, but your boss wants you to work like 4-5 extra hours for free. What are you going to say to him or her then?
Again, I am not talking about irrelevant exceptions, where I would really need something only to me.

You guys pick the worst possible case for your scenarios. You imagine I am expecting a feature which would be developed for 100 hours and I would want it only for me.
No, this is NOT THE REALITY.

The major of customers here ask for minor features and not solely for their interest, but everybodys! So a feature added to the addon for everybody where the majority would benefit. Not a single person, and not something which takes much time to implement.

Of course you can't guarantee that everybody will like a feature, but again, try to be a bit reasonable other than escaping to extravagant exceptions.

I am not greedy. I am expecting a reasonable support for something I purchased. Here where I live, I get 2 years guarantee for the physical product. And for about the first 6 months I can demand a new product if the one I got is malicious for example.

But addons are not physical. I can't demand after 6 months a working product or after 2 years a working product. When your addon breaks after 5 month, and you dont update it, will you give my money back? Most of the developers disappear after months, they drop all kind of support. Nobody of you can guarantee me after 2 years the product I bought will work. Mostly cause XF got an update.

So to sum it up, digital goods cant get the same guarantees what physical products get, due its nature being digital. You could sell me an addon now, and after 2 weeks you could disappear. Or 6 months or whatever. What should I do then? So you see we have to treat digital goods differently.

Ok, so what can I expect then for digital goods? Yes, reasonable support, where they support me when I need to do something. All in a reasonable manner.

Your example with 8 hours working is great. So you work 8 hours and get paid for it, right?
So, tell me again, you worked hard to create your addon, and asked a price of 20$, I paid it. Ok.
So why again should I pay renewal fees/support fees again?
So basically you get renewal/support fees, and you do nothing in return.
All I am saying is that you really need to earn the fees you get for renewal/support.

In most cases, after you purchased an addon, you are stuck with that what you got. All good, no problem. I paid for that by knowing what I got (lets assume).
But what not ok is that you advertise with 1 year support and demand renewal fees after that. But when we ask for support you say "no". You want us to pay for an option box or whatever. Clearly, you offer 1 year support, but you don't support when needed.

My problem is not with the money I pay for the product. That is well earned. My problem is that you claim you support your addons, where in most cases you just sit out on most demands "is in my wish list" and/or you disappear completely after you got our money. Don't claim then that you support it then. Don't sell me that.

Again, I am not asking anything for free here. Most of the addons here are NOT lifetime licenses. Most are 1 year limited. So, it means I pay you money. Should I pay you money for bug fixes or what? For what do we pay those fees?

The major of customers here ask for minor features and not solely for their interest, but everybodys! So a feature added to the addon for everybody where the majority would benefit. Not a single person, and not something which takes much time to implement.

Right, but this does not fall under the support scope, like you said in one of your previous posts. This is something else. And if every customer asked the developer to add a 'small' thing that he or she thinks will benefit everyone, where does it end. As a developer, you simply can not afford to waste time. At least I can not, as my time is very valuable. And with regard to the implementation time of the feature, I have had users asking me to add something which according to them would take 10 minutes, when in fact it would have taken several hours.

Your example with 8 hours working is great. So you work 8 hours and get paid for it, right?
So, tell me again, you worked hard to create your addon, and asked a price of 20$, I paid it. Ok.
So why again should I pay renewal fees/support fees again?
So basically you get renewal/support fees, and you do nothing in return.
All I am saying is that you really need to earn the fees you get for renewal/support.

Personally, I sell my add ons without timely licenses. Meaning that when someone buys an add on from me, they get all updates for free for unlimited time. That is for all versions of Xenforo that the add on is coded for. If a major version will be released that will need a recoding of the add on to work with it, then they will have to rebuy it again. But other coders have different business models. It is up to you as a customer, to purchase or not the add ons from a coder. If you do not like a coder 's business model, then do not purchase from them. The matter is very simple.

But what not ok is that you advertise with 1 year support and demand renewal fees after that. But when we ask for support you say "no". You want us to pay for an option box or whatever. Clearly, you offer 1 year support, but you don't support when needed.

Any coder that says no to support for their work, will not be long in business. But again, it depends as to what you mean by support. If it is what we discussed above, about adding new features, does not matter major or minor, then that does not fall under the scope of support. I asked you a couple of times to mention a specific case so we can see both sides of the story, but you have kept it vague.

What do you understand under support? Bug fixes only? But bug fixes aren't support, as I paid for a working addon, so it is a given that your stuff must work. That is not support, when you release a buggy software and then you cure the problems 1 by 1.
It's really simple.. support is the help with the getting the EXISTING code to perform the functions it was written to do correctly.
Support is NOT the EXTENSION of an add-on to perform additional features/functions that one would like to have. That is the request for an ENHANCEMENT to the existing add-on and would either be paid for by the requesting party as an additional fee OR by the add-on author agreeing to add it in at a later date and then you waiting until that later date (if it ever arrives).

What you apparently believe support to be is not the industry standard. Support consists the product as it exists at time of purchase (and any improvements added during the course of the license period).

Here, this may help you understand
After-sales service provided by a software publisher or vendor in solving software conflicts and usability problems, and in supplying updates and patches for bugs and security holes in the program.
That is a fairly normal understood definition of software support - do you see anywhere in there it mentions adding user requested enhancements/extensions?

Last edited:
Right, but this does not fall under the support scope, like you said in one of your previous posts. This is something else. And if every customer asked the developer to add a 'small' thing that he or she thinks will benefit everyone, where does it end. As a developer, you simply can not afford to waste time. At least I can not, as my time is very valuable. And with regard to the implementation time of the feature, I have had users asking me to add something which according to them would take 10 minutes, when in fact it would have taken several hours.
Where does it end? Obviously not implementing all of them, but doing your best to add some of the requested ones. So we see your support.
But anyway, when money is involved, of course you want to maximize you profit as much as you can, obviously your time is very valuable to you.

Personally, I sell my add ons without timely licenses. Meaning that when someone buys an add on from me, they get all updates for free for unlimited time. That is for all versions of Xenforo that the add on is coded for. If a major version will be released that will need a recoding of the add on to work with it, then they will have to rebuy it again. But other coders have different business models. It is up to you as a customer, to purchase or not the add ons from a coder. If you do not like a coder 's business model, then do not purchase from them. The matter is very simple.
But there is a problem with that. That is why you I say the resources need a guideline.
You say you do without timely licenses, good for you and us. But you could change your business model next week after this message. There is nothing which can hold you to do that. In fact, in the past many developers just changed their business model.
So you as a developer are not bound to anything at all. Nobody checks your code, you could even sell a broken addon, which will be labeled as "unmaintained" and yet when we expect something in return for our money, you just dump us with "do not purchase then".
It is too easy to let customers down. The system is malicious.
It went that far, that XF had to forbid crowdfunding because developers didn't do as they promised.
That bitter sweet taste in knowing that as a customer you are with no protection...

It's really simple.. support is the help with the getting the EXISTING code to perform the functions it was written to do correctly.
Support is NOT the EXTENSION of an add-on to perform additional features/functions that one would like to have. That is the request for an ENHANCEMENT to the existing add-on and would either be paid for by the requesting party as an additional fee OR by the add-on author agreeing to add it in at a later date and then you waiting until that later date (if it ever arrives).

What you apparently believe support to be is not the industry standard. Support consists the product as it exists at time of purchase (and any improvements added during the course of the license period).

Here, this may help you understand
That is a fairly normal understood definition of software support - do you see anywhere in there it mentions adding user requested enhancements/extensions?

I AM NEITHER BLIND NOR ANALPHABET. THANK YOU.

INDUSTRY STANDARD? Did you check codecanyon? ARE YOU REALLY GOING THAT ROUTE?
It is a joke what kind of paid addons here are offered when compared to the INDUSTRY STANDARD.

Let me give you an example. Let's say calendars.

So, take your time and see for how much money what you can get. If the XF addons were in the scope of industry standard, no freaking way the majority would ask for enhancements.
It is totally a joke to talk about industry standards, when the products themselves are not standard. Mostly (not talking about the big ones) the addons here are filled with 2-3 features at most, and you never know when they will broke and how long the support will exist. I could really go into some names or examples, but I don't want to discredit anybody here.
Because I also peek at other platforms, I know when an addon is a moneygrab and when not.
Because of this, because of this business model, I expect support in matter of little enhancements, if the addon owner claims he is supporting his addon.

But let's take your definition. No enhancements. Ok.
"So support is the help with getting the existing code to perfom the functions it was written to do correctly."
Ok, but often an addon interfers with another one. And usually the addon dev says "sorry, but I can't support you with that". So even by your definition, they are not sticking with their support premises.
Cause clearly, when that paid addon interfers with another addon/style, so it doesnt work propperly, I expect a working addon. But again they leave me alone with that. The existing code doesnt perform the functions it was written for.
So where is the support again? And I am following your definition here... Not expecting anything on top.
Usually they say "go to the guy who made that style". But let's say it is a free one. The style creator says, that it is a free product, and he can't support me with everything, and sends me back to the addon developer. So you are stuck.
And you can't do anything at all. Devs could disappear whenever they want, actually they do disappear a lot. They are not following business standards at all. Try to disappear from your work for more than 3 days.
Come again when devs follow standards, then we can talk about standards.

Anyway, this discussion went too long.
In my own case, I am not just criticizing, I am also trying to get into development by myself, so when sth needs to be enhanced, I can do it by myself. As you see, I am not relying on the "standards" at all. Wish me luck, I'll need it. I hope that is for free :).

If you think support entails customization, then I'm sorry - you are going to have a big wake-up call. CodeCanyon is not the world (you seem to be really stuck on it). If it's such a great place, then I'd actively encourage you to get engaged over there and get them involved in making add-ons with unlimited improvements under a 1 time license fee.
Cause clearly, when that paid addon interfers with another addon/style, so it doesnt work propperly, I expect a working addon.
and THAT would be a normal part of support expectation, from one add-on developer or the other. BUT, expecting them to add an additional feature is not.

And honestly, from what I've seen from your "expectations of support" I'm not really surprised that you would have issues.

Usually they say "go to the guy who made that style". But let's say it is a free one. The style creator says, that it is a free product, and he can't support me with everything, and sends me back to the addon developer. So you are stuck.

Well, if it's caused by that style then it is the style developers issue if the add-on works with others. You can either hope that they give you more support than you paid for (which is none) or you can learn to fix it yourself or you can use a different style.

And you can't do anything at all. Devs could disappear whenever they want, actually they do disappear a lot.
And I'm to assume this doesn't happen on your beloved Codecanyon?

Come again when devs follow standards, then we can talk about standards.
Maybe once you learn the difference between the normal expectation of what support is and a wishful one we can.

Oh, and I don't just "peek" at other platforms - I actually use them
XenForo
IPS
Burning Board
Discourse
WordPress
MyBB

Last edited:
Well, the normal expectation is what you set as normal. Obviously when you lower the bar that low and someone has a higher standard of expactation, you are obviously siding with that what you know.
And you wanted to talk about the standard, I showed you the standard. Across multiple platforms, what you can get for your money.
Sorry, but this is the real world. If you try to sell a Volvo in the price of a Ferrari, then my expactations will be high. I adjust to that. But if you deliver full packaged stuff, would never complain about the product or the dev, as he delivered already the fundemental things. Go and see on the resource list which are the addons with best reviews. It is not a coincidence that those are rated that high and are purchased widely. Cause they deliver you something worth the money. Other addons for 1/3 of that prices of these addons don't deliver 1/100 of those addons. Sorry, but then there is something wrong here.
And btw I never had issues with a style or had issues with a dev.
I am trying to speak for all the customers here. Not that this is my job, and not that I have the right to speak for them, but I m around for 3 years now and I follow this community and see the changes and problems.
I m just trying to give feedback, as this thread is about that.

not that anyone cares what i think but , my .02 is the add ons should be policed ,

more like the apple app store where stuff works then the google play store where you don't know whats going to happen.

i think the developers haven't done there selves any favors , most add ons are over priced or under priced , never have i felt like i got my $$ worth when dumping $$$ on something and sometimes when something was free i was really happy and sent the dev a donation, but i don't think many people donate.

I have yet to receive 1/2 the support i got on my years on VB that includes official support and open support on the forums. Heavily policing the forums is one thing , but this site doesn't have the community feel to me, it never has.

I'm worried that xf will go the route of the rest of the forum softwares and make it 1st party hosted with a monthly fee.

"So support is the help with getting the existing code to perfom the functions it was written to do correctly."
Ok, but often an addon interfers with another one. And usually the addon dev says "sorry, but I can't support you with that". So even by your definition, they are not sticking with their support premises.
Cause clearly, when that paid addon interfers with another addon/style, so it doesnt work propperly, I expect a working addon. But again they leave me alone with that. The existing code doesnt perform the functions it was written for.
So where is the support again? And I am following your definition here... Not expecting anything on top.
And you can't do anything at all.

You should be aware that when you use a third party add on, or style, they are made to work only with the out of box software and not to be compatible with all the other third party add ons and styles. That is the rule for all add ons being developed for all forums. And it is hard for the developer to provide support when a conflict happens between his add on and someone 's else, especially when that other add on is a paid one. As we do not have access to it.

and THAT would be a normal part of support expectation, from one add-on developer or the other. BUT, expecting them to add an additional feature is not.

You should be aware that when you use a third party add on, or style, they are made to work only with the out of box software and not to be compatible with all the other third party add ons and styles

If a developer provides suggested enhancements, or if they fix incompatibilities with other 3rd party addons or styles, then that is a bonus - not an expected part of support that is paid for under the licence.

I have often wondered about what happens if you personally pay for some further development of an addon, and that then becomes part of the package available for all. If I was the developer and I took money from someone to make an enhancement which I then included I am obviously benefitting beyond the payment for my development time.

It could be argued that the commissioner of the enhancement should also benefit. In such cases I think there should be some kind of agreement between the two parties. I might either charge them a discounted price for development assuming I would then include it in the commercial product- but I would be taking a risk that other people actually valued that enhancement. What if it is only of any value to the person requesting it?

If my hypothetical addon had an annual fee I would be inclined to give the commissioner of the enhancement a discount on renewal.

Either way, it should be made clear whether the commissioner of the enhancement will have any kind of reward or stake in the product.

Either way, it should be made clear whether the commissioner of the enhancement will have any kind of reward or stake in the product.

Pretty much unless you're hiring someone to build you the addon and assign the rights over to you, then paying for feature enhancements on an existing addon is off your own prerogative, and you should expect no returns from it.

Top Bottom