XF 2.3 What's new for developers in XenForo 2.3?

hys_9_cover.png
As promised, this week we're going to take a quick look at some of the more developer-centric changes coming in XenForo 2.3.

If a certain topic interests you more than others, click one of the links below:
Please note that the following libraries are no longer bundled with XF 2.3:
  • ccampbell/chromephp
  • doctrine/cache
  • league/flysystem-ziparchive
  • swiftmailer/swiftmailer
  • symfony/debug
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-eddsa
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-hmac
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-none
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-rsa

While we do have a little more to show you, the next couple of weeks is going to be focused on getting XenForo 2.3 ready to be installed here and some additional "Have you seen...?" posts may arrive between then and a public beta release. Until then, thanks for coming on this journey with us.

I changed the language to DM when I first started using XF, and had zero issues or questions.

1700256690509.webp

1700257006085.webp

INSIDE the DM I decided to leave the word Conversation.

1700257059659.webp

1700257081812.webp

Has worked well for me.

As stated above the term DM is used more by users and on many social sites is not even the official language but it is understood. So I felt keeping Conversation where I did worked. And it has.

I know I'm a southerner, but "Leave direct message" doesn't sound right to me. It sounds a bit like "leave a voicemail", which has nothing to do with actually exiting something. I think either "Leave conversation" or, more preferably for me, "Remove direct message" would be better.
Even to this Northerner it sounds like initiating one.😉

Deleting a message, generally refers to deletion from the users inbox. Not from the system, because its clear that the other participant(s) may well have the message in their inbox.
However, if the user is re-added to the direct message, then its back in their inbox.
IME re-adding barely/rarely happens. But maybe my experience is different from others?

because its clear that the other participant(s) may well have the message in their inbox.
I don’t see how it is clear. The word leave very much implies the start, as in “leave someone a message”

The word “leave” did makes sense in regard to conversations because it described a person actually leaving a conversation (that could still be going on.)

It isn’t ambiguous with conversation as it is with DM because you do not leave a conversation for someone but you do leave a message - (as above, you might leave a voicemail message for them).

Except you are not deleting it. It remains for the other participants, hence "Leave".
But you are deleting it from your own inbox. So delete makes more sense than leave IMO.

How ya’ll get worked up about phrasing convo’s is beyond me.
Some people do get worked up about the misuse of apostrophes also ;)

Last edited:
Except you are not deleting it. It remains for the other participants, hence "Leave".
But you are literally deleting it from your own inbox. So delete makes more sense than leave IMO. The fact that it is still in the other user's or users' inbox becomes irrelevant to me once it is deleted from mine.

I think if this phrase remains with DMs we will get even more new members asking how to delete a DM. I can just imagine the question

" I can see how to leave a DM, but not how to delete it?"

Last edited:
The Javascript changes are pretty major and exciting - glad I don't seem have to rewrite sooo much, lol.

Aside, I'm seeing a lot of QoL changes that will make life so much easier; the short date functionality and the AC's new nth-method got me way too hyped :LOL:

But you are literally deleting it from your own inbox. So delete makes more sense than leave IMO.
Except some users are going to think it really means deleted and will be surprised when other people still have access. At minimum, if we use the term "Delete" then we really have to push the narrative that this is basically email, not some kind of private thread. I am not sure everyone actually thinks of DMs that way.

I guess my question would be, what do FB and X do? Do you Leave a DM or Delete it? Because that's what people are going to relate to and is basically the reason for changing the name to DMs in the first place.

Top Bottom