Server issue Unable to view error log details.

mjda

Affected version
2.2.3 Patch 1
For the last week, or so, I've been getting the following error:

Fatal Error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in src/XF/Html/Renderer/BbCode.php:330

However, when I click on the error in the error log, to try to get more details about what's going on, that also times out with an error at
src/vendor/dokuwiki/utf8/utf8.php:965.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing.

Untitled-1.webp

The stack trace and request state of the errors will be useful here.

Could you fetch these directly from the xf_error_log table and paste them here?

I noticed this one was in the resolved forum, but not marked as fixed. Was it determined it was something on my end? I never received a reply to my message.

The reply is directly above your post.

The stack trace and request state of the errors will be useful here.

Could you fetch these directly from the xf_error_log table and paste them here?

As you didn't respond, the developers moved the thread.

Indeed. We didn't get a reply so we had to assume it was no longer an issue.

I've moved it back to bugs but we really can't progress it further without more information as requested on March 17th.

Indeed. We didn't get a reply so we had to assume it was no longer an issue.

I've moved it back to bugs but we really can't progress it further without more information as requested on March 17th.
I sent the requested information to you via PM. I didn't want to paste the information here, publicly, because 1) it was a huge amount of data and 2) it has data in it that I wanted to keep private. I'll reply to that PM now to, hopefully, make it easier to find.

Ultimately, this issue relates to a giant post -- something far beyond what we'd normally consider reasonable or expected. To give a few rough stats, this post appears to be about 1.7 MB of HTML (over 1,700,000 characters). Roughly speaking, it looks to be around 267,000 words, which is about 45% the length of War and Peace.

As a frame of reference, our default "maximum message length" is 10,000 characters. When parsing a post from HTML to BB code, we allow 6 times that limit before outright rejecting it (to account for the HTML being more verbose).

As such, there isn't really anything that we plan to change here except for an option description, as we really don't recommend removing the "maximum message length" option or significantly increasing it because it can have performance implications (such as this one), unless you have very specific needs. Our recommendation would have to be restoring that limit to a somewhat more reasonable level (probably no more than 100000); if you need to post something larger, it might be best to split it into separate posts or to attach it as a dedicated file.

As it stands, if you don't want to do that, you may need to increase PHP's default time limit. These processes will complete, but they take significantly longer on incredibly long inputs.

Top Bottom