This is what GPTchat think about the future of online community forums

xml

I ask GPTchat this question:
What is the future of online community forums scripts such as Xenforo and vBulletin? Do you think they will rise as they were on years from 2000 to 2010?

The answer was:
Predicting the exact future trajectory of specific online community forum scripts like XenForo and vBulletin is challenging. However, understanding the broader trends in online community engagement and technology can provide insights into their potential trajectory.
Between the years 2000 and 2010, forum scripts like vBulletin and others were widely popular for building online communities. They served as essential platforms for discussions, knowledge-sharing, and connecting like-minded individuals. However, the landscape of online interactions has evolved significantly since then, with the rise of social media platforms, instant messaging apps, and newer forms of online engagement.
The future of online community forums like XenForo and vBulletin depends on various factors:

1. Adaptation to Changing Trends: These platforms will need to continually evolve and adapt to changing user preferences, technological advancements, and emerging trends in online communication and community building.
  2. Competition from Social Media: The dominance of social media platforms like Facebook Groups, Reddit, Discord, and others has changed how people interact online. Forums need to differentiate themselves and offer unique value propositions to remain relevant.
  3. User Experience and Interface: The success of forum scripts will heavily depend on their user interface, ease of use, mobile-friendliness, and adaptability to modern design trends. Platforms that offer a seamless and intuitive experience are likely to attract and retain users.
  4. Security and Moderation: Ensuring robust security measures and effective moderation tools is crucial to maintain user trust and a healthy community environment, especially in the face of rising concerns about online safety and misinformation.
  5. Niche Communities and Specialization: Forums that cater to specific niche communities and provide specialized discussions or content may continue to thrive, as they offer a focused platform for dedicated users.

While it's uncertain whether these specific forum scripts will experience the same level of dominance they did in the past, there will likely always be a demand for online community platforms. The success of these scripts will depend on their ability to innovate, adapt, and offer unique value propositions that meet the evolving needs of users in the digital age.

I blame Google in large part for the rise of a few social media platforms to the detriment of forum websites. It was a decision on their part to pick winners and losers in their SERPs. If what I'm reading about Google now making efforts to bring more visibility for forums in their SERPs is true, maybe some balance will be restored in the coming days. I can only hope the efforts with the markup language stuff is indicative of that commitment.

There are too many trolls on social media that cause people to move away from all platforms.
It’s a bit like your youngest sibling pranking you all the time when all you want is peace and quiet.
Having your own forum is the best way to conduct your own discussions about the things you do.

However, the landscape of online interactions has devolved significantly since then

There was a typo. I fixed it. :)

Who cares what ChatGPT thinks? It's not a person. Even Kurzgesagt themselves very recently acknowledged the superiority of the forum format. I don't care what the current trends are. Forums are objectively the superior social media format, and yes, I'm willing to die on this hill.

Who cares what ChatGPT thinks? It's not a person. Even Kurzgesagt themselves very recently acknowledged the superiority of the forum format. I don't care what the current trends are. Forums are objectively the superior social media format, and yes, I'm willing to die on this hill.
Unfortunately what's better often doesn't win and forums are on a long decline, probably terminal, unfortunately.

This is one reason I have been hesistant to start a forum. I do have a blog that's part of a very small niche and I get some decent audience from platforms like LinkedIn. But, I question with things like Discord, Slack, Reddit, X, Instag, FB... that starting a forum would become very challenging. It's also a lot of $$ to invest to "see" if there would be interest. One thing I do like about Xenforo though, is that it seems to be one of the more up to date when it comes to forum GUI and tech.

This is one reason I have been hesistant to start a forum. I do have a blog that's part of a very small niche and I get some decent audience from platforms like LinkedIn. But, I question with things like Discord, Slack, Reddit, X, Instag, FB... that starting a forum would become very challenging. It's also a lot of $$ to invest to "see" if there would be interest. One thing I do like about Xenforo though, is that it seems to be one of the more up to date when it comes to forum GUI and tech.
What has been appealing to many on my forums is that it's 100% anonymous, and in my particular case, absolutely no ads or tracking of any sort. That appeals to many people but yeah, making a new forum sticky to people who've grown accustomed to social media is a challenge indeed.

Top Bottom