XF 2.2 Text editor and attachment manager improvements

1596357822277.webp
Central to the experience of interacting with forum software is the interface through which visitors will create their content. This is usually done through the text editor and attachment manager, so keeping these systems fresh and inspiring is very important to us.

From the outset, XenForo has employed a rich text editor (RTE) to allow visitors to compose their messages in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) interface, so that bold text is shown emboldened, large text is appropriately large etc., rather than working directly with the underlying BB code in order to take the guesswork out of message editing. We've always built a custom implementation on top of what we consider to be the best-in-class tools, and through the life of the XenForo we have already made major switches to completely new libraries twice, moving from TinyMCE to Redactor and then to Froala.

With XenForo 2.2, we have made another major change to our implementation. We continue to build upon Froala, but we have improved every aspect of our system.

We'd love you to read what we've put down here, but if you're pushed for time...

tl;dr

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi,

Will there be any changes to how code is displayed? E.g. line numbers, quick copy, title, heightening lines - similar to the addon by CMTV Code.

C++:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
  cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
  return 0;
}

Good improvement. The current editor sucks on so many levels.
Hopefully we see new features and enhancement to the report system and maybe a portal page?

We aren’t able to fix them directly because they are fairly core issues within the editor itself. Many of them have already been reported as bugs.

So generally if the issues still exists in their demo, they will still exist in XF 2.2.

I don’t think it’s correct that nothing has been fixed though. There are a couple of things that feel better to me.

I’m an iOS user myself and do respond to a lot of forum messages on iOS and even in the current version the issues aren’t too bad.

I just hope that iOS 14 doesn’t make things even worse...

Not blown away by them.

Believe me, I'm actively looking excuses to leave iOS but I'm just not seeing the hardware or software alternatives that I want.

The closest was perhaps the Huawei phones until all of their drama with Google. OnePlus phones interest me but still not really blown away.

Anyway... we digress...

To each their own...

But regardless I'm really digging these changes. Will make it much easier formatting posts and articles to look pertry.

Especially the headers.... Google loves them some headers.

Really good stuff guys. Looking forward to trying it out.

For what it's worth, adding custom bb codes for headings and hr is already possible.

I had them a long time ago but removed them as they were never used.

Top Bottom