SQL queries causing slowdown and outages

DRE

I had lots of downtime with xFHost.me so I left and when I did I was given a chance to have my site hosted at a VPS for a limited time. During my stay my site went down again and they gave me a list of what MySQL queries were slowing down my server and deleted my site. So I'm off to looking for another host again. I think 8thos will be down for longer period since I will have to find someone to look at this .txt file to see what's causing issues with my database. I don't know who does anything like that so I will have to take some time this weekend to research.

It's been over 24 hours now and the site is still up.

1. The problem never occured on URLJet.
2. The problem never occured on MDDHosting.
3. The problem began on xFHost.
4. The problem continued on Knownhost.
5. The problem never occured on Nimbushost.

If the problem doesn't persist, it's a database/server issue, not an addon issue.

If the problem doesn't persist, it's a database/server issue, not an addon issue.

If the server is running just fine until your site hits it, then it's a combination of both your site and the server. Very few are running MariaDB. As most hosting systems continue to host MySQL, it's how your site interacts with MySQL. Blaming it on the server is rather short sighted.

If the server is running just fine until your site hits it, then it's a combination of both your site and the server. Very few are running MariaDB. As most hosting systems continue to host MySQL, it's how your site interacts with MySQL. Blaming it on the server is rather short sighted.
In other words, it's my database but because it runs fine on MariaDB then something happened to my database while I was on xFHost which is why it screwed up Azhria's site. So you pretty much narrowed it down to xFHost.

You were running around 110 addons. You were modifying your own database. The host has nothing to do with it. You treated your site as if it were the only one on the server without thinking that there are others using the same resources. And when MySQL puked all over itself because of all the queries your site is generating (in addition to the other DBs that MySQL is trying to handle) you blame the server and hosting company.

You were running around 110 addons. You were modifying your own database. The host has nothing to do with it. You treated your site as if it were the only one on the server without thinking that there are others using the same resources. And when MySQL puked all over itself because of all the queries your site is generating (in addition to the other DBs that MySQL is trying to handle) you blame the server and hosting company.
Now you're the one sounding short-sighted. Saying that I ruined my database while on xFHost, would require me to have actually had the time to do so and I didn't (school, work, site down-time). Your better off blaming it on the amount of addons I had running.

Are you saying every single addon you use doesn't touch your database?
No. The way you worded your post sounded like your saying I personally did stuff to the database in the backend. Just say I'm running too much addons which is the same thing but not as complicated. Do the errors on the first page show an issue with alot of addons? If you can't narrow down which addon caused the issue then saying all of them together is the issue doesn't help at all.

Without going through each and every addon (one at a time) and watching the server as each one is activated, no, I cannot tell you which one is the cause. It may not be just "one" addon. It could be a combination of addons that are causing a conflict. The only way you're going to be able to tell what's causing it is to remove everything, then add them one at a time until you start seeing issues. And even then it may not be just that one addon. It could be how it's reacting to another addon.

Unless you're on your own dedicated server, you always have to bear in mind that you're sharing resources with all your neighbors. By itself, your site may run just fine. But you were sharing resources with other sites, and servers aren't as forgiving under those circumstances. And when things start happening, it's not just your site that's affected.

Without going through each and every addon (one at a time) and watching the server as each one is activated, no, I cannot tell you which one is the cause. It may not be just "one" addon. It could be a combination of addons that are causing a conflict. The only way you're going to be able to tell what's causing it is to remove everything, then add them one at a time until you start seeing issues. And even then it may not be just that one addon. It could be how it's reacting to another addon.

Unless you're on your own dedicated server, you always have to bear in mind that you're sharing resources with all your neighbors. By itself, your site may run just fine. But you were sharing resources with other sites, and servers aren't as forgiving under those circumstances. And when things start happening, it's not just your site that's affected.
Thanks. We all established that earlier in the thread.

MariaDB is backwards compatible to MySQL. So it shouldn't be an issue.
It's supposed to be, but it's not... some default settings are different which caused us problems. And in the end, we actually had to get off MariaDB because it was much slower than the default MySQL distribution. Which is sad because I really wanted to use thread pooling. :(

It's supposed to be, but it's not... some default settings are different which caused us problems. And in the end, we actually had to get off MariaDB because it was much slower than the default MySQL distribution. Which is sad because I really wanted to use thread pooling. :(
Percona ported the MariaDB thread pooling to their fork :)

For the servers that you were on, do you know which of these were using litespeed webserver:
1. The problem never occured on URLJet.
2. The problem never occured on MDDHosting.
1. The problem began on xFHost.
2. The problem continued on Knownhost.
3. The problem never occured on Nimbushost.

I hazard a guess that xFHost and Knownhost do (but the others don't)?

For the servers that you were on, do you know which of these were using litespeed webserver:

I hazard a guess that xFHost and Knownhost do (but the others don't)?
This could be a good call. The most recent problems with xFHost weren't anything to do with 8thos.com and I believe those servers are now running nginx. The servers crashed, it happens, but regardless Dre felt it was the right time to move. But apparently there were issues caused by his site in the past when it was running LiteSpeed. And if Knownhost use Litespeed then that could well be the problem.

Nimbus use nginx and we've come nowhere close to seeing any issues now 8thos.com is on our VPS.

Top Bottom