Speed up your site with a CDN

Speed up your site with a CDN 2015-07-18

No permission to download
Maybe you should try step by step..
I did, exactly as shown. So I currently have it disabled in the config, but enabled in style properties = the images and styles aren't updating.
Followed it step by step and to the T.. I also have ssl too on the site so had to set up some advanced features too.. Don't know what is doing it. :confused:

All working including fixing our SSL issues.. Many thanks to @Mouth for this guide! (y)
Even bigger thanks to @CyclingTribe who have seriously gone out of their way to help, and more. Thank you I appreciate what you've done, a lot which you know.
Thank you all for the help and suggestions too to my earlier posts. :)

Last edited:
Until you do have problems and find you get very little support from them and your site traffic is all proxied through them.
Even xenforo.com cannot get Cloudflare working correctly for them, with it giving errors and timeouts all the time.

Nope, you get what you pay for.

I'd have to disagree, I've been using it for years with very few errors that were not sortable in a matter of moments. Proxied traffic is also easy to deal with when it comes to getting the users connecting IP - it's easily found in the header, besides tricks with nginx and xenforo etc. Our xenforo forum (44,000 members) is pretty much a minor component of our overall website - we host and stream user uploaded video, through a cloudflare dns - but if I were to move from cloudflare the cost would quickly price me off the internet, basically. Unlimited bandwidth, a free dns service and a powerful network, you can't get much better for free. The only complain is the 100mb upload limit but even that's something we fixed with direct IP FTP shenanigans. It's hardly something giving errors "All the time" unless you've configured it wrong or their network is actually having issues, understandably by being such a popular free service.

https://www.keycdn.com/pricing
Capture1.webp

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide @Mouth. I have just joined KeyCDN and set up everything as per their instructions. There's only one thing remaining and which I can't figure out. How do we disable this Ignore Query String?

Just received a balance warning from keyCDN, checked the account and found this:
screenshot-app.keycdns0urd.png

Support ticket at keyCDN is opened. Just wondering wether I am the only one or this is a "system failure"..

@Mouth , have you experiencend something like that before? In the credittable overview I have found know an "expiry", that deleted the remaining credits.

screenshot-app.keycdn.com-2016-10-07-13-49-27.webp
WTH is this? Do credits expire ? Without any reason? Unfortunal the keyCDN still support isn´t responding.

Slowly getting p****d as this all doesn´t seem to be a mistake or failure..

Were these the free credits from the trial or have you paid for them?

IIRC the free trial credits expire after one month, giving you an opportunity to get a feel for the service before deciding whether to pay to continue. From the image you've posted it does look as if it is one month since the credit was started.

Last edited:
Nope @CyclingTribe ,
got contact with keyCDN over their facebook page and I´m just getting more p***ed.

They provided me a link as explanation where - to my surprise as I had no knowledge of that until today - that credits indeed do expire: https://www.keycdn.com/faq#credits-expire . Can you imagine that? While my registration a year ago I can´t remember that there was one word written about that. Just asked a fellow webmaster that uses keyCDN and he didn´t knew that either.

What does that mean in the end?
keyCDN seems to be accounting in the same way subscription scammers do. With my initial fee I received 750GB traffic. With 1-2 GB a day this should last a few years - that´s what you think and what is making this offer so attractive. But you´re completly wrong. Lets say your site generates 1GB of CDN traffic a day, at the end of the year you should have still have a remaining volume of aprox. 400GB left unused. keyCDN then will tell you, that you have to make a payment (in an email that was sorted out in my spamfilters):

We hope you enjoy using KeyCDN. Your credits expire in 7 days, which means that your balance will be set to 0 credits. Please conduct a payment to retain your remaining credits. Any payment will extend all your credits for another year.

Why do credits expire?
Credits expiry can be seen as a small minimum turnover to help covering our cost but we don't charge extra for our advanced features or HTTP requests and we offer the lowest content delivery price globally.

How keyCDN spells "Any payment" could be taken in as humorous act - cause when you try to do that, you´ll be forced to pay a minimum of 29 dollars. That´s ridiculous - or to use another more proper term: subscription scam. With that 29 bus you receive 750GB again. If you had the chance to pay before the expiry date, they´ll be added to your remaining volume and you´ll have in total the insane amount of 400+750GB, 1.15TB. Great, isn´t it? No, it´s not - at least not for those webmasters, generating less as a minimum of 2GB CDN traffic. It´s only numbers on a screen. Imagine you´re using this year 1GB a day again and you´ll find out, that at the end of this year you have a remaining volume of 785GB - more than you have added with your last payment to keep the account active. And now you are forced to spent another 29 dollars to get another 750GB; just to keep the account active - but you won´t be able to make use of this added GBs. For those people it would be wiser to burn the money in the oven, so at least they get something in return - heat - that has more worth.

Those who are already using more than 2GBs a day are all good, as the added GBs are depleted at the end of the year and they have no loss. But everyone else is caught in a subscription trap.

Actually, yes, I knew about the annual expiration and top-up as it was something I researched when first looking at KeyCDN; but TBH I'm not very sympathetic as you'll be very hard pushed (maybe even find it impossible) to get another high quality CDN for what amounts to $29 per year.

I realise we all have different budgets and needs, and some people's are very tight as their forums are purely a hobby, but if you genuinely can't afford $29 per year for global CDN coverage then you should probably stop using it. And it's not a scam - they make it clear on their website the credits expire after a year; they tell you outright that any top-up reactivates them for another year; and they even sent you an email to advise you in advance (it's not their fault you spammed it!) - so you did have an opportunity to address it and make a choice as to whether to continue or walk away.

It's an extremely good value for money service and despite not being the one I chose to use in the end, I would just consider accepting and paying the $29 and looking at what you are getting for less than $2.50 per month - a global CDN. Hell, the only thing I can think of that costs $2.50 and lasts a month is a bag of giant gobstoppers! :D

Cheers,
Shaun :D

You had to click on User Settings to insert your KeyCDN data.

You should also set in your style properties your cdn url for these named images. You can set cdn for font awesome and so on .. ;)

Attachments

• 2017-01-24_21-05-03.webp
    2017-01-24_21-05-03.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom