Registering twice ...

Robert9

Marc registers as Marc1. There is a problem with the mail. Marc never got a link to click.
Marc registers again as Mark2, now he is in the approval queue.

Result: We have to check what is wrong with Marc1 and Marc2; then we have to approve one user and delete one user.
Every day two or three or five or ten times ...

XF really needs a function to say in /register/

Hey, you have registered before as Marc1; is there any problem? Please check your spam dir!
You cant register again now! If you need help, click here => contact form.

There must be a solution to avoid these double registrations. It needs too much time to solve that.

There must be a solution to avoid these double registrations. It needs too much time to solve that.
I think we've answered elsewhere that there are existing addons to help deal with this for as much or little as you'd like.

I think we've answered elsewhere that there are existing addons to help deal with this for as much or little as you'd like.

All tools work after a second registration or avoid or force a registration by a special domain, for example.

I am talking about avoiding a second registration.

Last edited:
Sounds like the bigger issue is why they're not getting the email verification link if it's happening that often. If you're using a well known SMTP provider there shouldn't be an issue with it going to spam.

Even with the addons that try and detect duplicate registrations, there's no way for it to be 100% accurate, especially if users use different devices or the tracking data is cleared. Situations like this it's probably better to try and understand why people are trying to register a second time in the first place, fix the cause rather than introduce a weird workaround for the symptom.

Just put a big notice saying Do not register if you already had an account.

XF really needs a function to say in /register/

Hey, you have registered before as Marc1; is there any problem? Please check your spam dir!
You cant register again now! If you need help, click here => contact form.
This is what custom user fields are for.

Make a custom user field (to show on registration) that is a required tickbox saying: Only tick this if you have never registered an account here before. If you tick it and have previously registered your account will not be approved. Please contact us via the contact form here.

Thank you for all your ideas. Don't limit yourself to one possible situation!

a) Peter has not gotten the registration mail and tries again as Peter2 (spam or type-error or ...)

b) Sabrina's registering is moderated (maybe because of an add-on), she tries to register again as Sabrina2

c) Andre tries to register more accounts to fake some reviews. We know that after registering.

d) one computer or one network for multiple people

e) Paula has forgotten the name and the mail of her account

All these people are recognized by XF and/or some of the add-ons we have.
They are recognized by cookie, by IP, by whatever.

We have:
Register > form > send > check > registration > spamfilters > alarm or list or post or whatever.

I want to have

Register > form > send > check > spamfilter AND then
a) register or
b) message on screen like: Hey, it seems you have an account here ... or
c) dont register, but dont tell it!

It also does not matter if this helps only one from ten times or 99 from 100 times.

The most important thing for me is to save clicks, every single click I can save is welcome.

An add-on that could help, just needs to change the order maybe and don't allow a new registration in different cases like:

a) Peter is waiting for mail registration => tell Peter2, that there is something wrong with the last registration.

b) Sabrina was logged in a minute ago with an activated account => now she tries to register Sabrina2 - let her do it, but delete registration a minute later or simulate registering but don't do it. She is probably a faker and we don't give any information!

c) Paula was logged in two years ago with an activated account => we tell her: Hey, maybe you have an old account, but don't remember your name and/or mail? If you remember, try this form => forgotten login, else use the contact form for help.

An add-on that could help, just needs to change the order maybe and don't allow a new registration in different cases like:

a) Peter is waiting for mail registration => tell Peter2, that there is something wrong with the last registration.

Check your email delivery log in XF, I bet they are on a provider like OUTLOOK which may be rejecting your emails. The second account is probably to try a different email provider. Check email deliverability to make sure DKIM, SPF, DMARC are configured correctly and working as intended.

No!
Check email before will not check if the user has already an account, right?
Sign up and abuse can help to avoid registering for something@censored_domain.com, and help after registration.

I don't know how to make you understand, it seems that all of you give answers to other questions.

Peter registers as Peter. Peter gets mail. Peter finishes registration.
Peter does a logout.
Peter registers as new user Sabrina.

Now, we could do different things to react, but all of them should the same result: No new user!
In real world we have a new registered user.

I am talking about to avoid registering a second time!
I am talking about to save time and many clicks.

I don't know how to make you understand, it seems that all of you give answers to other questions.

That's probably because the solution you want is to a problem that wouldn't exist if you didn't have confirmation emails that that didn't send/arrive 10 times a day.

Top Bottom