Official Redis Cache

Official Redis Cache

Marcus

Marcus submitted a new resource:

Tips for Installing Redis Cache - Work in Progress to have a minimal Redis Cache

This is a work in progress How To Install Redis which is aimed to be a bit more easy to understand, and it is an extension of the official How To here https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/cache/#redis

Basics
Find out whether your server has the official redis package available for php, In Ubuntu you would search for Redis like this
Bash:
# apt search redis | grep php

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

php-doctrine-cache/noble...

Read more about this resource...

HELLO Marcus I liked the tutorial, it will help a lot of people.
Is it possible to have it even for php7.4, thank you

HELLO Marcus I liked the tutorial, it will help a lot of people.
Is it possible to have it even for php7.4, thank you
Which Linux do you use. CentOS?

I can help you to install redis server and the php-redis.

The configuration in config.php is always the same.

Can you upgrade your Ubuntu to 24.04 ? That would be the easiest. Your old Ubuntu does not have php-redis out of the box like the newer has. Plus xenforo needs 8.x for 2.3 I think.

Redis does work with 20.04 but you need to configure a line in redis.ini, get the php from a 3rd party repository, enable and start the separately installed redis server. In 24.04 it’s all the one line #apt install php8.3-redis.

Not yet, I'll explain
I use all installation via terminal, I still haven't been able to update to Ubuntu 24.04, at Contabo I've already tried the update, but it didn't work.
I'm going to do a complete updated service (XF+XFES+php8.xx+php8.3-redis) via terminal, I don't use cpanel, I don't use plesk.
It takes work, I know I can't do it alone.
a hug Macus.

I would just get the update to the next Ubuntu und get the newer PHP version. It will give you a much higher performance gain than these little tweaks here and there (Redis Cache, Using PHP JIT etc.). Plus Ubuntu is the best if you want a system that tries the best to make it work for you, as an example you install just #apt install php8.3-redis and it installs, enables and starts the redis server for you. Ubuntu is next-level for an easy to use Linux.

I do want to do all this updating, I'm still new to the Linux terminal. I'm already preparing all the important updates to my website.

you can update easy from 20.04, in the internet you find lots of useful documentation. It is usually
Bash:
sudo apt update 
sudo apt upgrade
do-release-upgrade
If it does not work directly, usually within a repository you must remove a "lock-in" to either LTS (so you only get the long term stuff) or whatever. But most things in Linux work out great and much easier than you thought.

Also, depending on your nginx and what you have there like a connection from nginx to php via "socket" and not the 9000 port, sometimes nginx referes to this socket with specific php version like 7.4, you would have to remove that to either use 8.3 or use a general term like "php-fpm".

In Windows go to the Microsoft Store and install the "Windows Terminal Preview", it is much better than Putty or what you use there.

Not sure about your error message because it asks you nicely whether to install and after you agree it aborts. Maybe there is not enough disk space ?

You do not need that paid Ubuntu subscription to be more secure anyway. Just a heads up for that.

I also use the non-LTS (long-term) Ubuntu to get more updates sooner.

Not sure about your error message because it asks you nicely whether to install and after you agree it aborts. Maybe there is not enough disk space ?
So my plan is 400GB, my files are not enough but 4GB, I don't understand there is a lack of space.

You can check your filesystem space with
Bash:
df -h
where -h is "human readable" so it will return MB and GB and not just a huge number.

i would just mail the email in your screenshot why the regular update you try to do does not work. Looks pretty weird that it aborts it after you enter y(es).

Top Bottom