Migrating from webmail to Google Workspace

Miri

I'm trying to migrate from webmail to Google Workspace. I would like to be able to keep my old emails. The email account I need to transfer has about 3 or 4 GB of data in it. According to some tutorials I've seen, Google offers an automatic content transfer from webmail to Gmail, with a guided procedure.

I chose Google Workspace for its capabilities but also for their spam management and more efficient email sending. Additionally, as it's a showcase site, what we were interested in was the email service.

I had opted for shared hosting with the dedicated IP option, and I believe that with Google Workspace, I will no longer need this.

I confess this is the first time I'm undertaking such a migration.

I'm here to ask for advice on migration and data transfer and things to consider during this process.

As mentioned, my priority is the maintenance of the email archive.

Is Google's transfer service reliable?
What are the problems that can be encountered during migration?

EDIT:
Since I would also have to change hosting and I wanted to know if it is better to follow the migration from the old hosting to the new one FIRST, and AFTER do the migration from webmail to Google Workspace? Or migrate the Webmail to Google Workspace FIRST and AFTER proceed with the migration to the new Hosting?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I chose Google Workspace for its capabilities but also for their spam management and more efficient email sending. Additionally, as it's a showcase site, what we were interested in was the email service.
While Google Workspace is a nice platform to work on with day-to-day business, you won't be able to use it for automated/forum mail if you have any sort of volume. There is a cap on the number of messages you can send (daily) and Google will regularly suspend accounts (that you have to re-enable manually) if they feel like the account is sending out spam-like content.

I didn't explain myself well, it's not related to forums or communities. This is a commercial business website. I think I can stay within the limits.

It's been a month since you posted this so I'm guessing you figured it out by now.

However, in case you haven't, if you have the time before the server move I would recommend moving the email first. It will save you/your host time and effort in the move. Unless you want to have a copy of the old emails on your new host.

I don't have any experience with their Transfer service, but it is Google so.. probably works. However, if you want to have more time and be sure before deleting the old emails, probably should wait til after the hosting move.

I also would recommend looking around, Google Workspace's prices keep shooting up and they might not be the best option for everyone. I use it for my business, but I've use it over a decade since it was free. They started charging me in 2022 and every year the price goes up. The only reason I haven't moved to protonmail or fastmail is because I also use them to backup my servers, which uses over 1TB space (part of my Workspace perks).

It's been a month since you posted this so I'm guessing you figured it out by now.

However, in case you haven't, if you have the time before the server move I would recommend moving the email first. It will save you/your host time and effort in the move. Unless you want to have a copy of the old emails on your new host.

I don't have any experience with their Transfer service, but it is Google so.. probably works. However, if you want to have more time and be sure before deleting the old emails, probably should wait til after the hosting move.

I also would recommend looking around, Google Workspace's prices keep shooting up and they might not be the best option for everyone. I use it for my business, but I've use it over a decade since it was free. They started charging me in 2022 and every year the price goes up. The only reason I haven't moved to protonmail or fastmail is because I also use them to backup my servers, which uses over 1TB space (part of my Workspace perks).

Thank you for the information.

I did it this way.

First, I migrated between webmail using this excellent free service, which I recommend: https://imapsync.lamiral.info/X/.

Then I performed the migration to Google Workspace using the dedicated migration tools and guided procedures provided by Google. This way, I have copies of the old emails in the current webmail and also on GMAIL.

For now, the basic plan of Workspace is excellent and sufficient for our business.

We will see what happens in the future.

Top Bottom