Lightning sucks.

This made me realise it might be better to use fiber between the switches. Because optical fiber has no electrical conductivity.
That's what we did when we had a huge power surge (city did maintenance and screwed up and resulted in a lot of damages to our neighborhood).

Luckily it was just non-critical stuff that got damaged, but I did lose every gadget in the kitchen (which is pretty much every gadget you can remember).

Here in Argentina in Cordoba the lightning storms can be quite... extreme.
As you may know, power lines in Argentina also experience voltage peaks that could potentially damage hardware so a UPS is definitely needed. I also disconnect everything because a light could impac the power line and fry everything.

Greetings from Rosario, Argentina 😊

As you may know, power lines in Argentina also experience voltage peaks that could potentially damage hardware so a UPS is definitely needed. I also disconnect everything because a light could impac the power line and fry everything.

Greetings from Rosario, Argentina 😊
I didnt know about this!! 😳 Can you tell me more about this? DM me 👀

Saludos!

That was my thought as well, especially as fiber has become reasonably priced nowadays and many switches have SFP/SFP+ ports.
Indeed. I have fiber coming into the house, so it only makes sense that I could easily switch parts of my network over to fiber eventually. It won't prevent lightning strikes totally, but at least having fiber from the utility pole to the house eliminates one path of copper coming into the house.

This made me realise it might be better to use fiber between the switches. Because optical fiber has no electrical conductivity.
The city that I worked for last in IT finally decided to take my suggestion after the second time the city managers office got hit and the current travelled into the main server room and fried equipment (did I mention for the second time). The first time I recommended a fiber run between that building and ours as a replacement of what had been there since they had a very large cell tower adjacent to them. They looked at the cost and the old IT manager (who was now in another position) convinced them that copper cable was cheaper and "it won't happen again". Needless to say, after the second time (and yes, I did tell them "I told you so") they decided that fiber was the better choice. And they got another strike about a year after I left.... but no issues with anything other than in that office area getting fried (they would not protect the power feed like I also recommended).
They even went out to the city barn and the remote buildings out there ran fiber to each (again, another recommendation I made when they contemplated it, but cost was "more than we want to pay") after the second strike.
Found that working for government was the epitome of penny wise, pound foolish in many situations.

You mean like signing £300m worth of contracts for HS2 between Bham - Mcr then scrapping it? 🤦‍♂️ Nice waste of money.

Or the half a billion wasted on buying land and property between Birmingham and Manchester that is now dead land and ripped apart families and communities.

Or the half a billion wasted on buying land and property between Birmingham and Manchester that is now dead land and ripped apart families and communities.

HS2 Was a huge and very stressful factor in us moving a few years back. The track is about 1km from where we lived and cut right through our route into the main town nearby. I feel awful for the heartache and troubles that arose for the homes directly in it's path, especially those for which it was now in vain.

Here in Belgium it's common to put power and internet / tv undergroud. And it's also entering the house underground. I aslo think that helps a lot.
If you have wires in the air to your house it's much more easier for lightning.
That said. We also had a lightning strike 15 years ago and a dead TV.
My servers are behind a UPS and I also have surge protection.
And I will replace the DAC's (copper) between main switch and my fiber switch with fiber cables.
I also need to make work of putting the extra grounding wire (that I always throw back in the box) on the devices :P

I'm a little bit spooked by Kier his experience.

Both seem to have their own advantages and disadvantages. In most cases we have no choice on how it is connected. So you just have to roll with what they deliver.

Sucks. Sorry to hear this. But what matters most is that you are alive and well. Stuff gets fixed.

One more vote for APC UPS. They do the job. Even their basic, cheaper models.

If you have wires in the air to your house it's much more easier for lightning.
That said. We also had a lightning strike 15 years ago and a dead TV.
The longest power outage I've had was when I lived in a neighborhood with underground power lines. The neighborhoods had the lines underground, but they were supplied via utility poles out at the main road. A pole out at the road had been hit by lighting.

The upside to the underground lines is that the power flickered less than it does where I'm living now, where there are power lines on the poles that are over 80 years old now. But with all the wind, ice, and rare thunderstorms we get, I'm surprised our power has not gone out as much as I thought it would.

Started to rebuild the data cupboard and found some more evidence...

IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0271.jpegIMG_0293.jpeg

Top Bottom