Improve & Simplify Notification Preferences

Alpha1

XF preferences can become a mile long and confusing once addons are involved. I suggest to simplify it in several ways:

1 Add an email tickbox.

In XF 2.1 the Alert preferences have 2 rows of checkboxes: Alert & Push:

Screenshot_2018-10-21 XF 2 1 - Push notifications.webp

I suggest to add a third checkbox for Email.

This has several benefits:
It gives the user a granular control of their email preferences.
There is much more overview of notification settings. In stock XF this may not seem necessary, but if you have addons then the preferences quickly become a mile long.

2. Remove duplication.
For each content type there is a setting to receive an alert if mentioned, quoted, liked. In stock XF we see the same settings repeated for threads, media, profile, resources, conversations. All together its already a bit much but can be overseen. If you have addons that follow the same standards then it becomes very overwhelming. For example I have 7 addons that do the same and the page height on mobile is 6800px. That is so much scrolling that most people will give up.

Interesting enough the XFMG does combine these settings for multiple content types. (albums & media)
I suggest to do the same for all content types. i.e. when 'Mentions you in a message' is ticked then activate it for ANY message in any content type.
Not only will this simplify the preferences page and greatly reduce its length, its also more logical and less confusing. Because the current wording already implies ANY message, but it currently only applies to forum messages.

Upvote 11
Top Bottom