How to duplicate a live site to use as a test site

But the one big useful thing is regarding the style. You can create edits to your style on a test environment, export and then import the style into your live forum.
Sorry, one more question on styles. Does the export ability apply to third party (paid for) styles as well? Can I install a paid theme locally, customize it, and then export / import everything at once? Or would I need to install it in production and only import my customizations?

Sorry, one more question on styles. Does the export ability apply to third party (paid for) styles as well? Can I install a paid theme locally, customize it, and then export / import everything at once? Or would I need to install it in production and only import my customizations?

I have never used a 3rd party style, but I would think some do some don't. For example if they are purely edits to exisiting style properties and templates then yes, they will export and import as if you had done those edits yourself.

If they requitre uploading of files and database changes then that would require reisntalling on your live forum. Best to ask the actual 3rd party style developer this question

Im having difficulty making this work.
1- It takes very long time to load the front page
2- when I attempt to login it gives The requested user 'xyz' could not be found.
3- when I click on any thread/node it says:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error. If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404

Using SSH is fairly straightforward.

Dump:
Code:
mysqldump -u<user> -p<password> --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables old_db_name > /path/to/backup/file_name.sql

Restore:
Code:
mysql -u<user> -p<password> new_db_name < file_name.sql
Thanks for the tutorial @Brogan. Will this work for live site with an 80GB database? Will there be any issues with the site being live? I'm guessing single-transaction and skip-lock-tables has something to do with the live site, but not sure how it works. Should we expect any hiccups on the live site or missing data in the new copy?

All the links on my test site I'm getting:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.
-----

What's the best way to troubleshoot this? I double checked and followed the instructions here correctly as far I can tell. Thanks.

Is your htaccess file still the xenforo default name htaccess.txt or have you renamed it to .htaccess ?

This is sometimes needed when you have friendly URLs I believe

Reactions: PJK
Trying to get a test site working to be able to test upgrading to 2.1. It's been awhile since I've done this, and although I think I have everything done - and the ACP works - I can't log into the test forum. I get:

Not Found
The requested URL /xen2test/login/login was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any ideas what I missed/what to fix?

The requested URL /xen2test/login/login was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any ideas what I missed/what to fix?
Does the xen2test folder exist?
If it does then did you properly install the software?

Guys, I'm at a stopping point. Any help is appreciated!
XF2 test site on the live server

When I go to the test address of
Code:
https://MySite.org/test
it just redirects me back to
Code:
MySite.org

I added a "test" folder under /usr/local/lsws/sites/MySite/public_html/

I copied all files within public_html using cp -i to the test folder so it looks like this:

/usr/local/lsws/sites/MySite/public_html/test/

I created a new database named xenforo2.
Then exported original database named xenforo.
Then imported the xenforo database into xenforo2 database.

My test config.php looks like this:
Code:
<?php

$config['db']['host'] = 'localhost';
$config['db']['port'] = '3306';
$config['db']['username'] = 'root';
$config['db']['password'] = 'MyPassword';
$config['db']['dbname'] = 'xenforo2';

$config['maxImageResizePixelCount'] = 50000000;

$config['fullUnicode'] = true;
$config['enableTfa'] = false;

$config['enableMail'] = false;

$config['cookie'] = array(
'prefix' => 'test_',
'path' => '/',
'domain' => ''
);

My test .htaccess looks like this:
Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^(data|js|styles|install) - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]

You might have board URL canonicalization on in your basic options. I believe you should still be able to access the admin panel (directly via /admin.php) to switch it off.

You might have board URL canonicalization on in your basic options. I believe you should still be able to access the admin panel (directly via /admin.php) to switch it off.

Thank you. Yes, the regular Xenforo is working just fine and I can access admin.php.
I tried turning off Canonicalization but it didn't make any difference. :(

lol it's still made about something though!
When I logged into the /test/admin.php it just gave me this mess:

Code:
[code]League\Flysystem\Exception: Impossible to create the root directory "/usr/local/lsws/sites/MySite/public_html/test/data". in src/XF/LocalFsAdapter.php at line 16
XF\LocalFsAdapter->ensureDirectory() in src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php at line 76
League\Flysystem\Adapter\Local->__construct() in src/XF/FsMounts.php at line 152
XF\FsMounts::getLocalAdapter() in src/XF/FsMounts.php at line 21
XF\FsMounts::loadDefaultMounts() in src/XF/App.php at line 858
XF\App->XF\{closure}() in src/XF/Container.php at line 28
XF\Container->offsetGet() in src/XF/App.php at line 2154
XF\App->fs() in src/XF.php at line 543
XF::fs() in src/XF/Util/File.php at line 480
XF\Util\File::writeInstallLock() in src/XF/Admin/Controller/Login.php at line 143
XF\Admin\Controller\Login->completeLogin() in src/XF/Admin/Controller/Login.php at line 70
XF\Admin\Controller\Login->actionLogin() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 249
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 88
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 41
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1931
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 329
XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

Top Bottom