Conversation Improvements by Xon

Conversation Improvements by Xon 2.4.6

No permission to download
Hey Xon my suggestion is having an option to display the conversation search target on every page the search bar is on.
That way even on my forum home page I can still perform a conversation search as soon as I log in.

Otherwise, do you know what I can edit to achieve this behaviour? (Would probably be a great FAQ entry)

I don't intend to add that into this add-on, but it can be done with a simple template edit.

By editing the forum_macros template and adding this chunk:
XML:
        <xf:page option="searchConstraints" value="{{ {
            phrase('conversations'): {'search_type': 'conversation_message'}
        } }}" />

Before the block:
XML:
<xf:if is="{$thread}">

I don't intend to add that into this add-on, but it can be done with a simple template edit.

By editing the forum_macros template and adding this chunk:
XML:
        <xf:page option="searchConstraints" value="{{ {
            phrase('conversations'): {'search_type': 'conversation_message'}
        } }}" />

Before the block:
XML:
<xf:if is="{$thread}">
Thank you so much.

Edit: That doesnt work because the else statement overwrites your code, but thanks for giving me a hint. Looks like the search options for the forum home page is set else where.

Last edited:
Is this new? (Search Improvements requirement)

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.32.58.webp

Ive been using and updating Conversation Improvements without Serach Improvents up until now.

Ive been using and updating Conversation Improvements without Serach Improvents up until now.
Most of my add-ons which touch search are picking up or have picked up a dependency for Search Improvements since it has a framework for various search features which is easier to be hosted in one spot.

Most of my add-ons which touch search are picking up or have picked up a dependency for Search Improvements since it has a framework for various search features which is easier to be hosted in one spot.
Understood. I was asking because the only reason I have Conversation Improvements is because I have Conversation Essentials which recommends Conversation Improvements which subesequenytly recommends Search Improvements. (edited) The only reason for me having Conversation Essentials is for the inbox limit so it seems just for that, I now need two extra addons that I'm not sure I would really be using.

Last edited:
After upgrading Conversation Improvements from 2.3.0 to 2.4.1 and ElasticSearch Essentials from 3.13.4 to 3.15.2 conversation search is no longer working, it always returns no results. Rebuilding indexes did not help. Server error log is empty.

Xon updated Conversation Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

2.4.2 - Bugfix update

• When using XenForo Enhanced Search:
    • Improve reliability of indexing recipients into conversations for search
    • Improve generating constraint restricting conversations to recipients
    • If using Search Improvements v2.9.6 or earlier, ensure the option "Push "View X by others" check into XFES" is enabled.
      If it was disabled, you will need to re-index for conversation search to return results

Read the rest of this update entry...

After upgrading Conversation Improvements from 2.3.0 to 2.4.1 and ElasticSearch Essentials from 3.13.4 to 3.15.2 conversation search is no longer working, it always returns no results. Rebuilding indexes did not help. Server error log is empty.
Please update Search Improvements, there was a bug in that add-on which resulting in the data needed for this add-on's search not being present.

Just checked another forum without elastic search:
1) Conversation search returns no results.
2) Such results do appear in global search.
3) It ignores Content Type Weighting for both conversation types, since having 0 to avoid appearing those results in global search.

Just checked another forum without elastic search:
1) Conversation search returns no results.
I see the bug with Conversation Improvements' MySQL-search support. Will fix this.

2) Such results do appear in global search.
3) It ignores Content Type Weighting for both conversation types, since having 0 to avoid appearing those results in global search.
MySQL-search doesn't support content type weights. For the next release, I've updated the descriptions of various Search Improvements options to indicate they require XFES.

Understood. I was asking because the only reason I have Conversation Improvements is because I have Conversation Essentials which recommends Conversation Improvements which subesequenytly recommends Search Improvements. The only reason for me having Conversation Essentials is for the inbox limit so it seems just for that, I now need two extra addons that I'm not sure I would really be using.
Sorry I didn't phrase that very well. I meant to ask if there is any problem using Conversation Essentials without this recommended addon Conversation Improvements and so subsequently its recommended Search Improvements meaning I end up using three addons when made I only need the one (Conversation Essentials) ?

Top Bottom