Block spam COMPLETELY with no addons

Block spam COMPLETELY with no addons

Solidus updated Block spam COMPLETELY with no addons with a new update entry:

Field input blocking

Members now must make 1 post before filling in their location, occupation, homepage and "about me" on the personal details page.

1.gif

Read the rest of this update entry...

So this isn't 100% bulletproof. It seems that form fillers are still able to bypass this, but it does add another layer of protection for those human spammers without them.
I'll update again shortly with more, and try to make everything look a little nicer.

So this isn't 100% bulletproof. It seems that form fillers are still able to bypass this, but it does add another layer of protection for those human spammers without them.
I'll update again shortly with more, and try to make everything look a little nicer.
I'm getting a formatting error when I try to copy in the account_personal_details code:

1.webp

Oops.
Add </xen:if> after

Code:
<dd>{xen:raw $aboutEditor}</dd>
    </dl>
    </xen:hook>
Works great. I changed it to three posts, as well as altered the grammar since I'm a stickler: "You need to make 3 posts to fill in location, occupation, and home page. Why not..."

Don't forget to update the OP with the changes.

Unfortunately had no luck with this. I've just tested with a new account and can still post links;

upload_2016-4-20_16-32-4.webp

upload_2016-4-20_16-27-39.webp

upload_2016-4-20_16-27-54.webp

upload_2016-4-20_16-28-10.webp

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Unfortunately had no luck with this. I've just tested with a new account and can still post links;

View attachment 132873

View attachment 132870

View attachment 132871

View attachment 132872

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You haven't done the spam phrases properly.

I've done everything in this thread but had 2 new spammers today post threads with links in. :(

View attachment 132905

What did they post? What are your spam phrases?

You haven't done the spam phrases properly.

I see. Would you be kind enough to correct me?

This resource instructs;

upload_2016-4-26_10-53-8.webp

Within discussion, in addition I noted;

upload_2016-4-26_10-53-39.webp

So my spam phrases look like so;

upload_2016-4-26_10-54-25.webp

Automated spam still get through - this is 6 mins ago;

upload_2016-4-26_10-54-55.webp

As do manual tests;

upload_2016-4-26_10-55-16.webp

It's in the moderation queue, set it to reject and it will be blocked completely.

Edit: I see you did set it to reject. Did you test on a new account with 0 posts?

It's in the moderation queue, set it to reject and it will be blocked completely.

Edit: I see you did set it to reject. Did you test on a new account with 0 posts?

Thanks for the continued attempt to assist.

Yes. Brand new account, 0 posts.

Same was/remains true with new accounts that are spam as well.

[Edit] Do you think is it perhaps because all new members on my forum have to have their first 5 posts moderated? I'd have assumed spam capture would override?

Hi Solidus,

Thanks for such great support and this has helped my forum A LOT! (I love the MGS reference as well). I was wondering if you had found a way to extend this to status updates as well? I have a few spam bots that are now applying they're junk links into the statuses and with the highlight or recent status updates now on the front of my forum it could lead to some issues.

Hi Solidus,

Thanks for such great support and this has helped my forum A LOT! (I love the MGS reference as well). I was wondering if you had found a way to extend this to status updates as well? I have a few spam bots that are now applying they're junk links into the statuses and with the highlight or recent status updates now on the front of my forum it could lead to some issues.

I thought the xf spam blocker included profile posts already. Mine go into moderation using this method. Try using moderation instead of blocking maybe.

The closing tag is incorrect, it should be </xen:if> instead of <xen:else />

Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.message_count} < 1">
<h3 style="color:white;background:#f72600;border-radius:2px;padding:2px;text-align:center;">You need to make 1 post to fill in location, occupation and home page, why not <a href="http://url"><u>introduce yourself!</u></a></h3>

<xen:hook name="account_personal_details_information">
    <fieldset>
        <dl class="ctrlUnit">
            <dt><label for="ctrl_location">{xen:phrase location}:</label></dt>
            <dd><input type="text" name="location" value="{$visitor.location}" id="ctrl_location" class="textCtrl OptOut" readonly /></dd>
        </dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
            <dt><label for="ctrl_occupation">{xen:phrase occupation}:</label></dt>
            <dd><input type="text" name="occupation" value="{$visitor.occupation}" id="ctrl_occupation" class="textCtrl OptOut" readonly /></dd>
        </dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
            <dt><label for="ctrl_homepage">{xen:phrase home_page}:</label></dt>
            <dd><input type="url" name="homepage" value="{$visitor.homepage}" id="ctrl_homepage" class="textCtrl" readonly /></dd>
        </dl>

<xen:include template="custom_fields_edit" />
    </fieldset>
    </xen:hook>

</xen:if>

Thanks for your great input.

Top Bottom