B)T versus Human and VPN

With a VPN, it ultimately depends on if it's a "known" VPN service or not. There are ways to check an IP to a location, and if it's originating out of a data center, it's a pretty good bet that it is a VPN connection. But I can use my home ISP service as a VPN also due to the router. Someone coming in via a VPN does not equate to "bad behavior" if that's what you are asking about.
As for BOT vs Human... there are some really good add-ons (paid) for XF that can help with that a lot and have been shown to be very successful at it.
Two of the better known ones are (back in the 1.x days I used the TPU originated one and it worked well for humans)

The add-ons that @Tracy Perry suggested can help, but I've found a little bit of setup on the built-in spam management can work wonders as well. We set up our management with the askimet and project honey pot API keys to check every new registration and post, and we use spam phrases to catch common bot language. Coupled with whatever flavor of captcha is currently working best, it catches 95% of bot traffic for us. Ultimately it can never be 100%, especially since some "bots" are actually humans posting spam. Maybe try reviewing your current settings along with the add-ons to make sure you are covering all your bases.

Last edited:
Top Bottom