XF 1.3's Link and Image Proxy System - Why is it useful to you?

@MattW - thanks for letting us know. I wasn't planning on using the link proxy myself, but as someone who relies on the revenue from Skimlinks and Viglinks, it is useful to know so as to avoid revenue loss. (y)

Many thanks Matt,

Either way, it seems to have, initially, a detrimental effect.... I shall stick with it as it is for the moment :)

@Mike given how many websites use skimlinks / viglink do you think anything can be done to make the two systems compatible?

There's not really anything that can be done. They're both attempting to do a similar sort of thing. The proxy link can only be generated on the server side because of some of the security checks we have, so the URL can't be manipulated on the client side.

Reactions: Rob
Ok then... correct me if I'm wrong but the keyword linking should work then? Since keywords are not already a link it wont be proxied?
Obviously, its going to affect existing links, i get that. Thanks for the reply.

It shouldn't be an issue adding links where there are none in the BB code.

One possible solution that comes to mind: redirecting every XenForo-proxy URL through the affiliate service.

For example, anyone can tag any link with their Simlink affiliate ID, and it will simply be directed to the destination, regardless of whether or not that site is in the affiliate program. For example, where XXXXXXXXX is the affiliate ID:

http://go.redirectingat.com?id=XXXXXXXXXXX&xs=1&url=http://xenforo.com

All that redirection would start to get a little messy, though, and who knows what Google would think...

There's not really anything that can be done. They're both attempting to do a similar sort of thing. The proxy link can only be generated on the server side because of some of the security checks we have, so the URL can't be manipulated on the client side.

Maybe there could be some collaboration with skim/vig links for some sort of integration with the proxy?

No, links have nothing to do with SSL. The image proxy helps mainly with SSL. The link proxy tracks clicks.

mysite.com/my_best_idea_ever_for_a perpetuum_mobile.htm

How many clicks?

Is it worth to implement that idea?
So you want to track internal links on your forum?
Still, it's hard for me get the specific purpose of this. If it wasn't on your forum (like bitly.com), then I understand. But track your own link on your own forum? why?

Top Bottom