Fixed User Mentions

Ntown

Affected version
Oddly, I just updated to 2.3 b2 and users immediately noticed that user mentions (tagging) isn't working. I see that also on this site.

As you type @User... all the available options pop up but if you select one, nothing happens.

Here's a proper, full description of the problem.

With Firefox, if I start typing @ and then a username, it pops up the usual list of suspects suggestions. However, if I then click a suggestion, it simply disappears and I'm left with the partially typed username. If I do the same in Chrome it works properly. It also works properly in Firefox and Chrome if I move the highlight to the correct suggestion with the down arrow and press Tab.

This function works properly in all previous versions including 2.2.15 with Firefox and Chrome, but only in 2.3 is there a problem. I've noticed this ever since xenforo.com moved to 2.3 several months ago, but I'm still seeing it in the latest Beta 2 build running on my local test server so I'm now reporting it. I'm always running the latest version of Firefox.

Note that this is separate to the issue where a username has an @ in it. This happens with all usernames.

Last edited:
Here's a proper, full description of the problem.

With Firefox, if I start typing @ and then a username, it pops up the usual list of suggestions. However, if I then click a suggestion, it simply disappears and I'm left with the partially typed username. If I do the same in Chrome it works properly. It also works properly in Firefox and Chrome if I move the highlight to the correct suggestion with the down arrow and press Tab.

This function works properly in all previous versions including 2.2.15 with Firefox and Chrome, but only in 2.3 is there a problem. I've noticed this ever since xenforo.com moved to 2.3 several months ago, but I'm still seeing it in the latest Beta 2 build running on my local test server so I'm now reporting it. I'm always running the latest version of Firefox.

Note that this is separate to the issue where a username has an @ in it. This happens with all usernames.
Let's see if i can tag you @FTL
works on mine.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.3.0 Beta 6).

Change log:
Fix issues with username autocomplete insertion in Firefox
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

The click events weren't routed through Froala, which meant data we rely on to insert the completion properly was updated to something else before we ever had a chance to read it. Unfortunately routing events through Froala without jQuery requires using Froala's very own jQuery shim, which has subtle API differences (and bugs of its own) that have to be worked around.

Unfortunately routing events through Froala without jQuery requires using Froala's very own jQuery shim, which has subtle API differences (and bugs of its own) that have to be worked around.

Ah, no wonder. Something like this can indeed result in some subtle bugs that will have you tearing your hair out. Props for finally nailing it.

Good stuff another thing that needed fixing.
Had no problems myself but considering others had this issue good to see it fixed before it buggered everyone up.

Top Bottom