Resource Guidelines

Even if he started work straight away, he still wouldn't have had time to update them all.

A period of time to give authors the necessary time to update their resources will be provided.

May I suggest to post a fixed date for the Guidelines to be be enforced? This may really help all of us (customers and coders), especially if they did not follow this topic.

At least the add-on descriptions could be updated soon.

But I'm really happy that such Guidelines do exist now. Thank you again!

You are being unrealistic.

The rules were posted a few hours ago.
Even if he started work straight away, he still wouldn't have had time to update them all.

A period of time to give authors the necessary time to update their resources will be provided.

I think expecting the changes within a few hours is unreasonable too, but I do think it's reasonable to set a hard date for when authors should endeavor to have their resources adhering to these guidelines.

I imagine some developers are going to struggle a bit in adapting all of their addons to this, so perhaps providing some kind of boilerplate notice for them to update their resource with in the interim might help?

Reactions: HWS
We're not going to put a hard date on it for the simple reason that as soon as it is reached, people will be clamouring for blood, reporting resources demanding they are deleted, posting on resource threads saying developer x should be hung, drawn and quartered, etc.

Let's just say all authors should endeavour to ensure their resources comply with the new guidelines as soon as is practicably possible.

We're not going to put a hard date on it for the simple reason that as soon as it is reached, people will be clamouring for blood, reporting resources demanding they are deleted, posting on resource threads saying developer x should be hung, drawn and quartered, etc.

Ha! Yes I suppose not doing so helps avoid a lot of unnecessary drama. This is why you're a xenForo mod and I'm not ;)

I would think 30 days would be reasonable for most. ******* probably has the most addons that need to be updated. Snog has less addons but more work cut out for him as well.

Personally @Snog I would get more clarification on yours. If I remember correctly your installer is 100% external. The plugin is not directly installed using the admin control panel rather initiated through an external script. The effect may be the same and they may still say no. But its not the install call back in the plugin thats doing the work and might need clarification.

I also thought of making the installer fetch all the required contents externally but left it there because people might not like it :D
I don't care about pirates any more because they always have a way, and if they have any intention of buying my add-ons they will buy it after 'testing' it...

My $0.02...

Meh, these don't really make any difference to me, except the new callback I'm adding to updates.

But that just sends the HTTP_HOST, so no issues there... I just need to make sure I declare it.

This'll be a job for next weekend. I wish I had gotten an email or something about this...

Liam

I just want to note that I JUST found this announcement today, 12 days later. I noticed the new "Updates Duration" field this morning and wondered how long it was there and did a forum search. The information was not easy to find, as this thread was not among the top results. It was also not clear that the "Resource Guidelines" link was new (it didn't seem surprising to me).

If xenforo.com was really serious about implementing these new changes for existing add-ons already listed, then this announcement should have really been posted in the Announcements forum so that it alerts everyone of the change and emails authors so they are not left in the dark.

I practically got chewed out today by a prospective customer because I hadn't filled in "Updates Duration" and they thought it was misleading that the listed price only provided updates for a specific amount of time.

I just want to note that I JUST found this announcement today, 12 days later. I noticed the new "Updates Duration" field this morning and wondered how long it was there and did a forum search. The information was not easy to find, as this thread was not among the top results. It was also not clear that the "Resource Guidelines" link was new (it didn't seem surprising to me).

If xenforo.com was really serious about implementing these new changes for existing add-ons already listed, then this announcement should have really been posted in the Announcements forum so that it alerts everyone of the change and emails authors so they are not left in the dark.

I practically got chewed out today by a prospective customer because I hadn't filled in "Updates Duration" and they thought it was misleading that the listed price only provided updates for a specific amount of time.
I thought it was a little strange that the announcement wasn't more visible.

Seems like an email should have been sent to anyone who has authored a resource.

The guidelines were introduced a little over six weeks ago.
That is a more than reasonable grace period and any add-ons which are still not compliant will be removed until the author updates them.

Bear in mind that we are unaware which add-ons breach the guidelines, for the simple fact that we don't use them.
We can therefore only act once a resource has been reported.

We are unable to take individual circumstances into account, otherwise developers would be pleading their case and there would be claims of favouritism.
All developers will be treated equally as far as the site policy is concerned.

I think it would be better if non complient addons were moved to a place where people could view them, but not download them...

However, that is just me and wouldn't work in all cases.

Thanks for the heads up.

The only thing I would hope is that there is some sort of notification to the developer when an add-on is removed. ;)

Top Bottom