Implemented Ratings... name and shame

Kim

If you have open star ratings it is going to be abused, as we have already discovered here sadly (but completely predictable, in fact I said this to Kier a long time ago)

I would suggest that if you are going to keep the star ratings, that you at least show who voted and what they voted, that way cowardly trolls and haters are less likely to do so if they are then going to be shown for what they are.

Rating the hard work of others is not the place for anonymity.

Just an idea :)

Upvote 11
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Once people start to get "trashed"/attacked for negative low ratings .... they will eventually stop. Why take the time to review something when you are just going to get attacked ? Eventually when low ratings and reviews are all but gone ... we can then just switch over to Likes. :)

I think it's fair to say from this and other threads that it will be impossible to please everyone.

There were complaints from some that the ratings were anonymous.
Others wanted to extend the ratings to cover different categories.
Some don't want ratings at all.
Others don't want the reviews tied to them.

The current plan is to tie reviews to ratings, primarily to reduce the anonymous low ratings with no justification.

Fair enough and no disagreement at all. I guess I'm less looking at xf.com and more users in general of the RM on their own sites. Sure, you can please everyone, but having some options will go a long ways in helping reduce the percentage of those that are unhappy. Here at xF, not being a mod author, I don't really care too much how it works. For my own website, I care a lot more. ;) So, yeah, I'm thinking less xf.com really.

Once people start to get "trashed"/attacked for negative low ratings .... they will eventually stop. Why take the time to review something when you are just going to get attacked ? Eventually when low ratings and reviews are all but gone ... we can then just switch over to Likes. :)
but saying better luck next time is not really constructive to the developer or anyone reading your review if they can.

Once people start to get "trashed"/attacked for negative low ratings .... they will eventually stop. Why take the time to review something when you are just going to get attacked ?
That won't be allowed to happen here.
A valid criticism has as much right to be aired as a positive comment.

Fair enough and no disagreement at all. I guess I'm less looking at xf.com and more users in general of the RM on their own sites. Sure, you can please everyone, but having some options will go a long ways in helping reduce the percentage of those that are unhappy.
These are the current permissions.
It's fair to say they will be expanded to cover the new features and options.

rm-permissions.webp

Well, it's not like people are afraid to say that they don't like the RM and want to give it low ratings... and their names are attached to it. :)
Not everyone is willing to take the heat.
I think low ratings and low comments will be all but eliminated. Maybe that is good. Getting a free addon and then giving it a negative rating seems quite unfair.

I just checked out vBorg to compared it to the RM.
Sorting Mods by Rating is useless.
The most useful thing is to sort Mods by Installs.

I'm sure this has been thought of. what if the add-on for example deserves and gets a 1 star for arguments sake it's poorly coded and partially works and it gets an abundance of one stars but the author of this add-on quickly cleans up the code to the point it's a working masterpiece, add-on of the month type resource. is there some kind of measure in place to accommodate scenarios such as this because as i see it once you vote/comment that is it you can re adjust your vote nor make a comment after you submitted your first vote/comment.

Same rule for those that rate it as 5 stars and the resource turns out or ends up being something trashy or doesn't work and filled with bugs

I see no one getting attacked for leaving negative, properly written posts regarding things they dislike in XenForo now. It's the same idea applied in a different way for easier at-a-glance summarization of a resource and gets around complaints of "I don't want to read over 100 posts in order to know if people like this resource or not."

The only people I see that get targeted are blatant trolls or people who continue to pound at something that has long been settled and refuse to stop.

The current plan is to tie reviews to ratings, primarily to reduce the anonymous low ratings with no justification.
Perfect. I will use this as review system so they can only rate after they write a review. Can the author of a review be made anonymous as an option?
I see it's not possible to allow anonymous reviews. This is where an addon may be needed.

I wouldn't rule out anonymous ratings at this point (as an option).

Considering most of this was only thrashed out in the early hours a few days ago, things are still a bit fluid.

I wouldn't rule out anonymous ratings at this point (as an option).

Considering most of this was only thrashed out in the early hours a few days ago, things are still a bit fluid.
There are hope :)
We have members using real names and reviewing programs which they are a students/graduates so not having the ability to post an anonymous review would make our review system less attractive.
In fact, we have 100+ reviews so far and all but 2 are submitted anonymously but verified by us.

It can be as easy as not display username/avatar of the reviewers or keeping that in the Activity stream.

Ditch all "Stars" and keep it with "Likes" only.

The "XF Likes System" has worked perfectly for Forum-posts, why should it not be just as perfectly used for "rating" of Add-ons ?

I am quite confused with the direction XF is taking as of late.......

You shouldn't be.

Go and look at the downloads section of any of the major software sites and you will see ratings: IPB, Joomla, WordPress, phpBB, etc.

It's more or less a de facto standard.

You shouldn't be.

Go and look at the downloads section of any of the major software sites and you will see ratings: IPB, Joomla, WordPress, phpBB, etc.

It's more or less a de facto standard.

Exactly.
Why copying the other cats when you have the "Likes system" which you already know has proven itself ?

You guys want to go back to the "de facto standard" of other Forum-systems?

I see a simple and easy-to-understand XF-system turning into user-confusion.
Similar happened to BuddyPress when it got confusing and users turned away from it. Beware!

Simplicity is the key, not confusion.

Read this whole thread again:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/i-like-like.10173/

Ditch all "Stars" and keep it with "Likes".

The "XF Likes System" has worked perfectly for Forum-posts, why should it not be just as perfectly used for "rating" of Add-ons ?

I agree the like system is a great method for finding valuable posts and threads, but context needs to be taken into consideration. An add-on is substantially more complex than a general post. Therefore, I agree a system should be in place to rate the many facets of a users interaction with each add-on.

Adding mandatory reviews with ratings is the first step in achieving this. This will allow new users contemplating installation to read through previous users experiences, praises and critiques. I mean how many users really read all the way through the mega threads associated with popular add-ons? This should provide for a high level overview of the pros and cons associated with each.

Now once this piece is rolled into production the community will again have its chance to offer feedback. Rinse, repeat, and before you know it we'll have a product that's ready for market.

Top Bottom