Fixed Update from beta 5 to beta 6 does not enable forum [update: Filecache changed directory]

Marcus

Affected version
2.3 beta 6
During the update the forum is disabled and users see "forum is disabled". I updated using the web updater from beta 5 to beta 6 and after it finished I see "board disabled" in the main admin.php area. In the public area also the message is displayed.

php cmd.php xf:upgrade told me I could rebuild the beta 6 data and it ran successfully. However still the same message: "board is disabled" in public and admin area is display.

SQL:
> select * from xf_option where xf_option.option_id = 'boardActive';
+-------------+--------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------+-----------+-------------+------------------+-------------------+----------+----------+
| option_id   | option_value | default_value | edit_format | edit_format_params | data_type | sub_options | validation_class | validation_method | advanced | addon_id |
+-------------+--------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------+-----------+-------------+------------------+-------------------+----------+----------+
| boardActive | 1            | 1             | onoff       |                    | boolean   |             |                  |                   |        0 | XF       |

Thanks @Chromaniac, in src/config.php I changed $config['cache']['enabled'] = true; to $config['cache']['enabled'] = false; and now it works. I only use the Filesystem cache.

This is my setup:

PHP:
$config['cache']['sessions'] = true;
$config['cache']['enabled'] = false;
$config['cache']['provider'] = 'Filesystem';
$config['cache']['config'] = [
    'directory' => '/...'
];[/php

It seems that the beta 6 Filecache directory changed from $filesystem_cache_directory$.

It created today a new $filesystem_cache_directory$/xf with lots of subdirectories which are all empty

Disabling Redis resulted in HTTP 500 Internal Server Error at my end lol. So I ended up flushing redis cache using a CLI command.

I am also using filesystem cache on redis. I have no idea how it works. And where it stores data tbh. It's all hit & trial for me. It really gets confusing to read discussions here about redis and elasticsearch because most of the terminology just goes over my head.

For all of this I really wished the xenforo cloud existed when my community was more active a long time ago and focused on my community instead of technical things. The community matters first.

In the old times there was the apc cache which at some times flushed over. I used redis but switched to Filesystem because I do not know if a slow community really profits from redis ? I used a special addon for redis (which I think is only working for 2.2 at the moment). If you run bleading edge you better do not use un-official addons.

Other than that the xenforo 2.3 is pretty awesome with the featured threads and huge speed improvements.

ah yeah. i have used apc cache in the past and it also made very little sense watching the console where you could see its progress and flushing. redis is pretty much the same for me. i can see that guest caching is kind of working by opening the site in incognito. apart from that the values in xon's addon in backend makes no sense to me lol.

The best is to use most of xenForo's already vast internal functionality and accept its limitations. Things go wrong and the older I get the more I value reliability. Speaking of - glad to have a notebook, there is a blackout now where I live so I write this on battery.

But just today I was looking for an option to display forum moderators in forum_view turns out there is none of that functionality. You could install a functioning addon that provides you with this automatic display or manually edit the forum description every time you change moderators within a forum. It works both ways but for sure the automatic display would be fun.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.3.0 Beta 7).

Change log:
Enable cache layer in the install app
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom