As designed Unapprove threads not visible by thread author

AndyB

Affected version
Beta 7
When a moderator selects to Unapprove threads:

1508694010245.webp

the thread author can no longer see the thread in the forum view or thread view. Normally the thread author should be able to continue to view the thread but with notices indicating the thread is being moderated.

They can still view the thread directly

Hi Mike,

When a moderator Unapprove's a thread, the thread author doesn't appear to get any sort of notification. If they look for their thread in the forum they created it in, it will not be displayed, they will get confused and angry. You indicated they can "view the thread directly" but if there's no link in the forum view then how will they be able to find the thread?

The normal use for a thread being unapproved is that it is submitted unapproved and then approved at some point. Unapproving after the fact isn't really a core use case for the system (normally you would delete in this scenario).

When the thread is created, the user will be directed to the thread with a note saying that the thread is awaiting approval before being displayed. At this point, they will still see the thread in the forum in question, though it's worth noting that there are many other places where we haven't generally displayed threads such as this. This will last for approximately an hour to allow them to get back to the thread to make adjustments if needed.

If you are unapproving a thread after the fact, as you've noted, there's no notification to the user, so if you're expecting them to take action, you need to do that manually and that would be when you would direct them to the thread in question.

When the thread is created, the user will be directed to the thread with a note saying that the thread is awaiting approval before being displayed

Correct, but if they navigate away from the thread they will not be able to find the thread again.

At this point, they will still see the thread in the forum in question

Please double check this, a content (thread) which has been set to be automatically unapproved via this permission setting:

1509065863114.webp

will not show in forum_view until a moderator has approved it.

There was a bug with that 1 hour display, so I've fixed that, thanks.

The original report is really a bit different and unlikely to apply in that case, so the main report would still be considered as designed.

Hi Mike,

Glad you found the problem.

Question, why is there a 1 hour display? Why not make it always show as it was in XF1?

Thank you.
I agree with you, an option in XF1 that I like very much and I found it very helpful and usefull where I can reply on the unapproved threads to inform the author that he need to edit something in the thread before I can approve it. To bad to remove this option.

Top Bottom