So, I have a rather old modified vbulletin board I believe I want to migrate to xenforo...

Phaedrus

How easily will this migrate to the new platform? The database is rather large after being active since 2006 and it being a political forum it just has quite a few posts from the active membership.

While I know many of my mods won't directly transfer, there are equivalences to this software and I look forward to trying. However, I just wonder how easy this will be with such a large dbase. (My latest backup is about 2 GB when it is zipped, maybe that isn't "large" to some so maybe I should just mention that lol).

Anyway, can someone tell me the experience they have had with something that has an equivalent sized database?

I forgot to ask, who do I talk to about a blog migration? I'm pretty sure I read some threads where there are some add-ons for the blog system and someone has written an import. I have one blog user who has written over 1000 blog entries, I don't want her to hate me for moving to Xenforo if I can avoid it.

Also, do I keep avatar images, sig images, attachments, (and such) files, or will I lose all the custom avatars, etc?

And... Is this particular theme/skin available? I like dark themes and the one that was in the demo is not... Are there many themes/skins? I can't see them as I have not yet gotten a customer number.. LOL

Last edited:
I forgot to ask, who do I talk to about a blog migration? I'm pretty sure I read some threads where there are some add-ons for the blog system and someone has written an import. I have one blog user who has written over 1000 blog entries, I don't want her to hate me for moving to Xenforo if I can avoid it.

Also, do I keep avatar images, sig images, attachments, (and such) files, or will I lose all the custom avatars, etc?

And... Is this particular theme/skin available? I like dark themes and the one that was in the demo is not... Are there many themes/skins? I can't see them as I have not yet gotten a customer number.. LOL
If you're maintaining your blogs with the use of a blog add on - speak to the author of the addon. @Bob has a popular one (other blog addons do exist (tm))

Otherwise you can import them as threads through the software:
https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/import-notes-vbulletin/#vbulletin-3-and-4-with-blog

vBulletin 3 and 4 with Blog#
Blogs#
Individual users' blogs will be imported as a forum-type node containing threads which correspond to blog entries, with replies corresponding to blog comments.

You must specify a node name in which these blog forums will be created during the import configuration stage.
You will keep signatures (same import note link)
There are many themes and xenforo does ship a dark mode theme that you will see either by picking the dark variant (see bottom page toggle) or setting your device to dark mode.

Styles are here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles-2-x.45/

I have now downloaded both the software and the importer, however I do not see detailed instructions on how to use the importer. I tried to look in the online manual but from what I can see it has instructions for install and upgrade but not how to use the importer. And there was no readme file in the importer download to help out a noob...

I see the upload file, I can do that, however how do I start it going? Do I upload them at the same time I upload the files for xenforo install, or after?

Once it is started there are a bunch of notes on how to do it, just nothing that I've seen on when to upload and how to start it going...

It's in the "tools" in the Admin control panel... I found the instructions. <smh> I'll do this in the AM when my brain is fresh. Thanks to the folks who have answered my questions, and for the ones that are just reading the thread and laughing at my n00bness.

Somewhere I read that you are supposed to run this before you create any IDs so there are no duplicates. My guess is that you will have to create an Admin account in order to access the Admin Control Panel to access the tools and start this import process.... So. How do I do that without creating the Admin ID?

I assume it asks for the database info that you had/have vbulletin installed on as well as the paths to the sigs and avatars, etc...

Another question: Can it merge two databases? If I have it import one, then another what would happen? I was reading how it might be used to merge another site with a current site and was wondering how that might work out?

Last edited:
I have now downloaded both the software and the importer, however I do not see detailed instructions on how to use the importer. I tried to look in the online manual but from what I can see it has instructions for install and upgrade but not how to use the importer. And there was no readme file in the importer download to help out a noob...
Ask @Slavik as he’s awesome

Another question: Can it merge two databases? If I have it import one, then another what would happen? I was reading how it might be used to merge another site with a current site and was wondering how that might work out
It essentially imports the second database into the first (so no option to retain ids).

Interesting comment about there not being any how-to's. I haven't used the importer so can't comment on the specifics sorry!

It essentially imports the second database into the first (so no option to retain ids).

Interesting comment about there not being any how-to's. I haven't used the importer so can't comment on the specifics sorry!
Actually you can, it's an option during the import. So why comment.. the importer functions as designed.

Last edited:
My Xenforos were both former vbulletin 4 sites, and it was a painless conversion. Oldest is from 1997 with 1.1 million posts and 12,600 members. I doubt you will have any trouble with the conversion or with redirects.

Most things converted flawlessly, and are very similar.

I'm sure there are how-to instructions available... In fact I have now read one of them and am almost ready to begin the import... Just getting all my ducks in a row. I plan on saving a full home directory, then removing all the vbulletin php files then loading this one into the same directory so that redirects will be unnecessary, then installing xenforo. Loading some styles in, making sure I don't create any forums, etc. so there is no duplication going on, then taking a backup of the clean database before I do anything... loading the importer that I downloaded, then starting to test it. My best bet will be to ensure I do not use the same Admin login so that it won't duplicate... :dunno: That's my plan though. Wish me luck!

So, just so there can be some closure for folks that may want to do this.
1. Make sure your backup is clean.
2. Do create a test version first and leave your site up while you are learning.
3. Once you are ready, verify the backup is clean then use htaccess to keep anyone from accessing the database while you are trying to do import.

If you don't... You will regret it. (I know I did). the one thing I did right was the last one. LOL

Do not upgrade mysql until you are sure you have a good clean backup that has no corruption in it... once you upgrade it you will not be able to go backward. I recommend buying a second server and uploading the backup into it so you can test and learn...

Once I had clean data the import worked wonderfully. Good stuff folks. Seriously. Smooth.

i just migrated from a 20 year old vbulletin 3.8 forum to Xenforo. Clean migration aside from a few minor things regarding layout and style sheets. I was concerned about the old saying about people hating change. According to the analytics, my demographic is older BBQ guys(majority 45 and up) and even these guys embraced the change and helped work out the little things they were accustomed to on VB. No complaints just praise. Highly recommend the move. XF has so much more to offer.

Top Bottom