XF 1.5 Question on PHP 7.3

Question on PHP 7.3

Hi XenForo - I purchased your great software back in 2016. I've been using SiteGround as the server since then which was recommended by one of your members on this forum, and I've been fine with it.

My website has been down for a few weeks with these basic error messages:

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/50right.com/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 185

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/50right.com/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 192
An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.

The SiteGround rep told me that this is a PHP 5.6 and they are no longer supporting anything less than 7.3 PHP.

Would purchasing an upgrade get the website back up to at least PHP 7.3 status? If so, guide me to a link/spot where I can make the purchase, along with any additional info or instructions needed to be able to get the upgrade to SiteGround, so that the website works again.

Thank you very much!

Steve
50right.com

Additional note: Also around the same time or a bit before the website stopped working, I received a message that SiteGround was upgrading to MySQL version 8.

I don't think this has anything to do with my website not working. But just wanted to make sure that any newly purchased XenForo upgrade will work with this MySQL version 8.

Thanks again!

Steve
50right.com

I found the spot on my SiteGround account to manually upgrade the PHP.

Currently it is at 7.3 - I think the rep on the phone probably changed it to the 7.3, but it still doesn't work.

I manually changed it to 7.4 didn't work, and some of the 8 PHP's and it still didn't work.

The error message, in my unknowledgeable view, seems to be sending me back to XenForo to fix the problem.

So please let me know what to do, and I shall gladly do it.

Thank you!

Steve
50right.com

The latest XF version you have access to is 1.5.14.

That is not compatible with PHP 7.3.

You will need to downgrade the PHP version to 5.4, or upgrade XF.

The latest XF version you have access to is 1.5.14.

That is not compatible with PHP 7.3.

You will need to downgrade the PHP version to 5.4, or upgrade XF.
Hi Paul - Thanks for the reply.

Crazy, I was about done for the night playing with it, figured I'd just move it back to the 7.3, and shockingly it worked. The website is back up.

I wonder if it's actually in one of the other PHP modes now, but I didn't give it enough time to propagate? Now that it's back at 7.3 it may go down again once that propagates? Oh well, I'll see what happens and play around a little more with the PHP if needed.

On the PHP thing, the lowest it will go is 7.3

At least I know that I'm in the right spot to fix the problem. If the problem continues, I'll just go ahead with an upgrade.

Thanks again!

Downgrading to php 5.4 sounds really bad 🤐
PHP 5.4 is the minimum, but PHP 7.0 should be the maximum considering when 1.5.14 was released.

Hi Paul - Thanks for the reply.

Crazy, I was about done for the night playing with it, figured I'd just move it back to the 7.3, and shockingly it worked. The website is back up.

I wonder if it's actually in one of the other PHP modes now, but I didn't give it enough time to propagate? Now that it's back at 7.3 it may go down again once that propagates? Oh well, I'll see what happens and play around a little more with the PHP if needed.

On the PHP thing, the lowest it will go is 7.3

At least I know that I'm in the right spot to fix the problem. If the problem continues, I'll just go ahead with an upgrade.

Thanks again!
If it works, that's great. Though I think PHP 7.3 was released several years after 1.5.14 so I would expect you to run into some issues at some point, even if they are somewhat rare/obscure.

PHP 5.4 is the minimum, but PHP 7.0 should be the maximum considering when 1.5.14 was released.

If it works, that's great. Though I think PHP 7.3 was released several years after 1.5.14 so I would expect you to run into some issues at some point, even if they are somewhat rare/obscure.
Hi Chris - Yes still up and running, although it does seem to be loading a little slower than usual. But no concern about that right now.

Thank you!

Steve

Top Bottom