Browser issue Odd behaviour cutting and pasting gif animations

Bionic Rooster

Affected version
xf 2.0.0. beta 8
If I cut and paste a gif animation to this thread it changes from a gif to an attached png as shown below
1509893580701.webp
But if I drag and drop the same gif animation from desktop it works fine.
giphy.gif
This odd behaviour does not happen with XF 1.5.x

The same thing does happen for me in XF 1.5:

1509900838150.webp

I've noticed this behaviour before with other sites, notably WhatsApp, Imgur and even Slack which we use internally (not that we post funny GIFs to each other that often ;)).

I think ultimately it's down to how the OS or application decides to handle the particular data in the clipboard. It seems common for only a single frame of the GIF to be sent to or retrieved from the clipboard.

This is not a browser issue. Using FF the animations when cut and pasted work as expected in XF 1.5.15 but it does not work in XF2 as posted.

Actually, it doesn't work in XF 1.5 as I would expect, either, though it does behave differently.

Pasting the image data into Firefox in XF 1.5 actually embeds the image URL which isn't quite the same:

1509994170382.webp
It's probably better as it is now in that it's consistent with the behaviour of other browsers and it now actually does roughly what it's supposed to do (which is to upload as an attachment, rather than paste a link).

Top Bottom