Local Demo Site for development possible?

fork

Hi,

I'm a user of a forum using xenForo-Software. Currently there's an issue which can possibly be resolved by developing a script. Is there a possibility to set up a temporary demo site without having to buy an extra license to have a testbed environment for a) the developing-phase now b) debugging-phase later when needed for the script?

The topic of the issue is vandalism. Occasionally some user quits the forum in anger and deletes/changes the contents of his/her posts, so her/his threads gets "damaged". So I'd like to create a script, to reset all users post-contents to a date some days before - by using a copy of the xenForo - database.

Regards,
fork

Hi,

Yes: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

5. How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create additional test installations for testing and development purposes only.
Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, installed at a URL that makes the testing purpose clear, not used for production purposes and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.
See the License agreement for the entire scope.
Note that test installations may show a message in the ACP as follows: "The Board URL option does not match the site URL configured for your license."
That message can't be disabled but it can just be ignored.

@BassMan: Thanks for your answer. Seems my matter can be done!

Some more information about what can help here too:

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

5. How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create additional test installations for testing and development purposes only.
Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, installed at a URL that makes the testing purpose clear, not used for production purposes and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.
See the License agreement for the entire scope.
Note that test installations may show a message in the ACP as follows: "The Board URL option does not match the site URL configured for your license."
That message can't be disabled but it can just be ignored.
Came across this in search and this was super helpful. Adding some keywords in Q&A format to maybe make this more discoverable via search.

Q: Do I need additional licenses for development or test?
A: No, as long as it's solely used for development / testing purposes. See the License agreement for the entire scope.

Hi,

I'm a user of a forum using xenForo-Software. Currently there's an issue which can possibly be resolved by developing a script. Is there a possibility to set up a temporary demo site without having to buy an extra license to have a testbed environment for a) the developing-phase now b) debugging-phase later when needed for the script?

The topic of the issue is vandalism. Occasionally some user quits the forum in anger and deletes/changes the contents of his/her posts, so her/his threads gets "damaged". So I'd like to create a script, to reset all users post-contents to a date some days before - by using a copy of the xenForo - database. https://www.cogniteq.com/blog/flutter-pros-and-cons-it-good-choice-your-app

Regards,
fork
Hi Fork,
Setting up a temporary demo site for testing and debugging purposes without purchasing an extra license is indeed possible. Here's how you can approach it:
  1. [COLOR=var(--tw-prose-bold)]Local Development Environment
  1. : You can set up a local development environment on your computer using software like XAMPP (for Windows), MAMP (for macOS), or LAMP (for Linux). Install XenForo on your local server using a copy of your forum's database. This will allow you to test and develop scripts without affecting your live site.
  2. [COLOR=var(--tw-prose-bold)]Staging Environment[/COLOR]: Some hosting providers offer staging environments as part of their hosting packages. Staging environments are essentially copies of your live site where you can test changes and updates before deploying them to the live site. Check if your hosting provider offers this feature and set up a staging environment for testing your script.
  3. [COLOR=var(--tw-prose-bold)]Virtual Private Server (VPS)[/COLOR]: You can rent a VPS from a hosting provider and set up a separate instance of XenForo for testing purposes. This will give you full control over the server environment and allow you to test your script in an isolated environment.
  4. [COLOR=var(--tw-prose-bold)]Development License[/COLOR]: Alternatively, you can consider purchasing a development license for XenForo. A development license allows you to set up a separate development environment for testing purposes without violating the terms of use.
[/COLOR]
Regarding the issue of vandalism on your forum, creating a script to reset all users' post contents to a date some days before can be a useful solution. However, please proceed with caution and ensure that you have a backup of your forum's database before running any scripts that modify data.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Top Bottom