XF 2.1 Changing forum node name & SEO

frm

Is it ok, SEO wise, for a newer forum to change a node from let's say /some-forum.23 to /another-name.23

Or would it be best to create a new node and move threads into it (like 3 now).

I dunno how navigation routing works in regards to changing nodes and then using /another-name instead.

Do 301 redirects need to be made? Or should it resolve on its own eventually (small board, 80 threads, 100 or so posts)?

Oh, ok, I see what you're saying, it's /threads/thread-title.467533

What about the forum node; it's just a holder? No effect if I change it? Or make a new one and move threads?

What about the forum node; it's just a holder? No effect if I change it? Or make a new one and move threads?

You can change it and the old name will redirect so this should have no effect on SEO. However if you create a new forum and move the threads, then any existing links to the old forum will not be redirected (unless you make a redirection yourself) so best to just rename.

NB: you can also give any forum its own URL portion (in the node forum options), that way the URL stays the same whatever you change the forum title to (unless you then rename the URL position)

Note that people used to think that a keyword in the URL would help with SEO. I believe it doesn't make Google more likely to give a higher position, however it can be useful to have a keyword or two there as it may prompt someone searching into thinking it is a good page to click on.

Reactions: frm
Top Bottom