Add AND/OR to search forum thread criteria

MichaelR

Suggestion:
The search forums thread criteria should have the option to select AND/OR for tags/prefix. Sometimes you like to select multiple of those to show in 1 search forum but as it stands we can't do this.

Upvote 7
Yes it would be great if it could search different phrases or keywords in the title or maybe even regex searching. I find it hard to get the exact threads I want since people write the brand names of electric bikes in different ways.

For example; I've setup a search forum for the popular Rad Power eBikes over here: https://ebikesforum.com/search-forums/rad-power-bikes.132/

My Thread Criteria for the search forum is Title: rad power

However people write the name radpower without a space. The way around this is to simply search for all thread titles with rad in them, however, this surfaces all posts with the sequence rad in them, like upgrade for example which I do not want to show. I think search forums need a little fine tuning to make them even better than they already are!

I've got a free add-on which implements this sort of thing (but only for ElasticSearch).

It exposes the simple_query_string syntax that ElasticSearch supports;

Implementing this for MySQL is rather non-trivial.

It's a bit annoying that every time someone comes up with a new suggestion the add-on authors come up with their alternative solution along with one of their add-ons.
We are in the forum for suggestions to improve xenforo natively. There is a section for requests for add-ons.
Please post any suggestion that you'd like to see as part of XenForo here. If you have a suggestion for an official add-on, please use the correct add-on suggestion forum. If you have a suggestion for a third-party add-on, please post it in the add-on's thread.
Whether they are free or paid, I don't think this is the place to "sell" your add-ons...

I am used to always being a bit against the grain and a lot is falling on me but like to say what I think ... sorry for this new off topic.

Sell a free addon?

Anyway, the thousands of addons and styles are out there because it’s not in the core. So if you’re against people showing you an addon that does what is being requested, then you should be running a 100% vanilla forum.

Last edited:
We are in the forum for suggestions to improve xenforo natively. There is a section for requests for add-ons.
The existence of an add-on that might meet the need both demonstrates interest in the suggestion and might give the requesting user what they need until Xenforo adds the suggestion or if they do not. So it doesn't bother me if they are brought up. And extensibility is part of what makes Xenforo the terrific product that it is. Using add-ons to fill gaps is part of that.

As for the suggestion, voted it up. I'm always happy to have more capability in searching (says the ex-librarian whose wife taught information retrieval in a Master's program).

Amyway, the thousands of addons and styles are out there because it’s not in the core. So if your against people showing you an addon that does what is being requested, then you should be running a 100% vanilla forum.
Why are you doing on purpose not to understand? Where in my post do I say I'm against add-ons? I'm just saying that there is already a section to request add-ons and it's not here. And if I write "sell" in quotes it's precisely for... No, drop it, you won't be able to understand...
The existence of an add-on that might meet the need both demonstrates interest in the suggestion and might give the requesting user what they need until Xenforo adds the suggestion or if they do not
The user, who is like all of us, probably no more stupid than anyone else, does not ask if this function exists, he suggests implementing it in a future version of XF. It makes a big difference, and always because he's probably no more dumb than the rest of us, he's probably browsed the add-ons if he felt the need to.

The description of this forum is explicit.

Top Bottom