Off-Topic Section = Good?

One of the insights that I've learned over the years is that offtopic conversations are one of the strongest emotional bonds that you can cultivate among members. People come for the content, but they stay for the community, and offtopic / social conversations are how members get to authentically learn about each other.
^^^This!^^^

I’ve always had a General Discussion area of the website, these usually allow people to discuss off topic things and not be stuck only discussing topics the forums based around. The only issue I see to this is that more people use this area and it can become a dominating section. I feel with other services like Discord if you don’t have one people will just discuss off topic there.
I've got a GD area and this has happened on my forum, too. My forum must comprise of 80-90%+ threads and posts there, but I don't mind as my main objective is to increase activity with friendly discussions.

My forum is basically an off topic type of forum.
I can make it turn into an Australian Rules forum but i don't want to be copying my mate @BIG LLC's work.

I can post up some things but most things have to be off topic.

Top Bottom